Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Slim line DVD drive.. Now not being seen by anything

• Please log in to reply

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My roomate has a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, I think its about 3 years, has Win XP Home, 20 gig and 256 MB RAM. He was having issues with burning DVD's. We tried many different programs to burn and nothing realy worked. I advised that its probably the drive. So we ordered one off newegg and i installed it last night. I turned the laptop off, only had to unscrew one screw and push it out, mount the bracket on the new drive and insert it in the bay. I turn on the laptop and now I cant see it in My Computer, Device Manager, BIOS and it wont open. I have tried put old one back in and the same thing, rebooted into safe mode, BIOS update, hard/soft reboot. Still nothing. After the BIOS update and when the OS was booting up I did see the light on the drive turn on but still isnt being seen by anything. I looked Dell support and really didnt do anything for me. I dont want to have to reinstall the OS but if it has to be, it can be done.

This is the NEW drive I got

Edited by fr33zypop, 29 June 2008 - 08:26 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Something to think about: If your CD unit doesn't work and you want to reinstall Windows (from CD), how is it going to work? :)

This sort of situation is normally caused because the connectors on the back of the drive don't match up with their positioning inside the laptop. It only needs to be even 1 mm out for it to not work at all. You'll quite often find Dell use unique connectors that don't match up with the one on the new drive.

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
But the OEM drive that was in there was a Sony drive so I figure it shouldnt be differenet to install a different OEM style drive. I will look at it closer tonight. There wasnt any kind of pushing to get in into the bay, it just slide right in. I was sure when looking at it, they had the same connectors.

I can install a OS from USB or on the Network.

Edited by fr33zypop, 29 June 2008 - 01:55 PM.

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yeah well, I have come down to the conclusion that Dells SUCK. I tried to work on the new drive with it for a while and never got it to work. So I got more mad and then ripped my drive out of my laptop. I tested both drives and they worked, so I assumed it was something with compatiblity. So thanks for the help..