Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply

GeekSandy

GeekSandy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, Guys: I went into Windows Update which I have set to automatic updates. I checked for any critical updates and Windows XP Service Pack 3 comes up. I've tried & tried and it won't download. My automatic updates are working (not on this particular download though) as I had one as current as 06/20. Any ideas of what I can check or do? Thanks SO much. :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Check thoroughly that you really need SP3 and that your computer will not have a problem with it. See these:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2
Windows XP service pack 3
Windows XP Service Pack 3 flawed?
Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Printer

That's only a few of them listed on GTG.

Ron

GeekSandy

GeekSandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks, Major. I had seen these notices, but no one seemed to have exactly the same problem... Thanks! :)

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Have you tried to download XP SP3 and install it from the stand alone installer?

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
http://download.micr...SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Cheers,
Mak

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Thanks, Major. I had seen these notices, but no one seemed to have exactly the same problem... Thanks! :)

Well, I was hoping you would have noticed the free support link Microsoft is offering for SP3. Been better to let them handle it.

Ron