Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Video Card for my Specs?

• Please log in to reply

TXVA John

TXVA John

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure you get this all the time, but I want to upgrade my video card. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely certain what the best card is that my system can support with its current motherboard, processor, power supply, etc.

The reason for the upgrade is so I can play some of the newer game releases. Here are the current specs for the machine. It's an HP Pavilion a350n out of the box, if that helps. Not the best gaming system in the world, but it's what I've got.

Base processor and speed
Pentium 4 / 2.80 GHz
* 800 MHz front side bus
* mPGA478
* HyperThreading Technology

Chipset

865PE

Motherboard manufacturer
* ASUS
* Motherboard Specs

Video graphics

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX (AGP video card)
* 8x AGP card
* Up to 64 MB DDR video
* TV-Out

Here's a link to the actual a350n product specs from the HP website if that helps - HP a350n

I'm already planning to upgrade the memory to 2GB. That's the max recommended by HP even though the motherboard can support 4GB.

Thanks for helping me out. I appreciate any and all comments and questions. Figured upgrading the memory and vid card is cheaper than buying a pure gaming machine, especially with reduced play time these days.

Thanks again,
John

Edited by TXVA John, 29 June 2008 - 11:45 AM.

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hi there,

Since you're motherboard only supports AGP, the hd3850 is probably going to be the best AGP card for games. Do you know what kind of PSU you have? It's got to meet the wattage requirements as well as the rail voltage for the specific card you decide to go on.

As for the memory, there's no point in getting more than 2 gigs unless you have the 64bit version of XP. The 32bit versions, while it can see the 4 gigs, it's only going to be able to utilize around three gigs of it.

I personally would recommend you buy the parts to build your own system that is up to date with the rest of the hardware out there though. Updating a "dead" system such as this isn't the best move if you have the money to build a new system because once you upgrade your graphics card, you're not going to be able to do much else.

smrtbeenr

smrtbeenr

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure you get this all the time, but I want to upgrade my video card. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely certain what the best card is that my system can support with its current motherboard, processor, power supply, etc.

The reason for the upgrade is so I can play some of the newer game releases. Here are the current specs for the machine. It's an HP Pavilion a350n out of the box, if that helps. Not the best gaming system in the world, but it's what I've got.

Base processor and speed
Pentium 4 / 2.80 GHz
* 800 MHz front side bus
* mPGA478
* HyperThreading Technology

Chipset

865PE

Motherboard manufacturer
* ASUS
* Motherboard Specs

Video graphics

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX (AGP video card)
* 8x AGP card
* Up to 64 MB DDR video
* TV-Out

Here's a link to the actual a350n product specs from the HP website if that helps - HP a350n

I'm already planning to upgrade the memory to 2GB. That's the max recommended by HP even though the motherboard can support 4GB.

Thanks for helping me out. I appreciate any and all comments and questions. Figured upgrading the memory and vid card is cheaper than buying a pure gaming machine, especially with reduced play time these days.

Thanks again,
John

I know this is a dead post, but which video card did you end up going with? I'm in the same sort of predicament, but I just want computer that will play HD .mkv files.