Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

runwin.dll - important or not?

• Please log in to reply

Neoptolemus

Neoptolemus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone!

Today, out of the blue, Sophos Anti-Virus started popping up messages informing me that C:\WINDOWS\Help\runwin.dll has been infected with 'Troj/Agent-DO', and that access to the infected file is denied. So far, all attempts at removing it have failed. I also tried going into safe mode, but it was still in use so I couldn't touch it.

I have tried Trojan Remover which didn't detect it, and my 30-day trial for The Cleaner has conveniently expired. I believe there is a program I could use called MoveOnBoot which will allow me to delete or rename any file I like, but I don't want to touch the file until I know it won't damage my installation of WinXP.

Could someone tell me if it is safe to remove this file, or if not, how I could possibly clean it? Heck, if you could just tell me what this trojan does I'd feel a little happier heh :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I can sympathize...it is not a windows file, that is for certain....if you cannot delete it, something else is protecting it or it is in memory.

Can you see it in task manager, processes tab

ctrl-alt-del, processes