Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could Someone Quickly Recommend me a PSU

• Please log in to reply

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Could someone quickly recommend me a PSU under 50 pounds compatible for the ------ Thankyou doesnt have to be from novatech.

Edited by JoxonDandry, 01 July 2008 - 03:15 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
We need more information about the rest of your computer. Can you please list your full computer specs.
James

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Since you are not going for the topline video card i assume that your computer is a basic middle of the road type. For this i would buy one of these in case you want to upgrade in the future.

PC Power & Cooling PPCS750QBL Silencer 750W
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817703019

Silverstone OP700
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817256033

Enermax Infiniti 720
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817194021

These are overpowered for a normal system, but i must think that you are going to upgrade. Normally i would run 600-650 watts on a single video card system.

SRX660

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
A 600W would offer plenty of headroom for future upgrades. That being said, your suggestions are above and beyond his budget. Components in Europe are much more expensive then in North America.

Assuming you don't have a heavily overclocked quad core CPU, more then 1 hard drive and more then one optical drive I suggest the following.
http://www.novatech.....html?CSR-VX450
or
http://www.novatech.....html?SEA-S1250

If you can spare the few extra pounds, I'd suggest purchasing the Seasonico. The Seasonic will provide an extra 50W which will give extra head room for future upgrades. That being said, both should power your computer just fine, assuming you don't have a high end rig. Just to confirm, can you please list your computers specs.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 July 2008 - 01:39 PM.

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
My Pc Stats:

At the moment i have:

NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405
Boston (Asus M2NS-NVM) Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
HDD Seagate TONKA II Serial ATA
PSU: 200-250Watts

Edited by JoxonDandry, 01 July 2008 - 03:07 PM.

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Dam, i need to know which i should buy the GeForce 9600GT or the 8800GT quite a hard one

Edited by JoxonDandry, 01 July 2008 - 03:06 PM.

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

A 600W would offer plenty of headroom for future upgrades. That being said, your suggestions are above and beyond his budget. Components in Europe are much more expensive then in North America.

Assuming you don't have a heavily overclocked quad core CPU, more then 1 hard drive and more then one optical drive I suggest the following.
http://www.novatech.....html?CSR-VX450
or
http://www.novatech.....html?SEA-S1250

If you can spare the few extra pounds, I'd suggest doing so. The Seasonic will provide an extra 50W which will give extra head room for future upgrades. That being said, both should power your computer just fine, assuming you don't have a high end rig. Just to confirm, can you please list your computers specs.
James

That first link looks good.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Dam, i need to know which i should buy the GeForce 9600GT or the 8800GT quite a hard one

Whichever is cheaper, I'd suggest getting the 500W PSU if you want to get these cards. Just a heads up, your CPU will bottlneck your new GPUs performance.
James

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thanks, i will be Purchasing the PNY 9600GT 512mb and the 500Watt PSU hopefully thats all i need, i have a very normal monitor will my very normal looking/crap monitor ruin the 9600gt's Frame per second? right now my resolution screen is 1152 by 864 because i like my icons small and i play my games with 800 600 but i wish to play my games 1024 768 will it be okay with the 9600gt?

Edited by JoxonDandry, 02 July 2008 - 11:00 AM.

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Im very worried the Power Supply wont fit

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Unless you have a Dell, HP etc. case, you won't have any problems. 3rd party computer manufactures some times adjust the size of the PSUs, to force you to buy from them should a issue with the PSU come up.
James

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Will it matter if i dont buy any 'extra' coolings also i am very below ameteur at installing power supply :) its so complicated for me, and by the way i haven't got any floppy drive and also my cd/dvd drive is only one drive its not 2 will that make it easier for me to install power supply.? Because i have no floppy drive will that complicate things?

Edited by JoxonDandry, 02 July 2008 - 02:03 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you mesure the phyisical dimensions of your current PSU. It appears your PC in manufactured by Packard Bell, am I correct to assume this? I'm not sure if they use proprietary PSUs either.....
As far as cooling goes, it'd be suggest to add more case fans if possible, otherwise that GPU may overheat....
Having no floopy drive will not complicate things.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 July 2008 - 02:12 PM.

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Yes your right its a:

Packard Bell 2380

(I really really dont want any extra coolers :) )

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
In my opinion i dont think i wanna go for the 8800GT or the 9600 since maybe they will heat up etc.. so what card do you think would be a more smarter choice.

Change of Choice: The 8600GT 512MB DDR3 looks cool.
Also: Could there be a chance of a much Cheaper Power Supply?

Edited by JoxonDandry, 03 July 2008 - 03:14 AM.