Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU cooler touching PSU cage

• Please log in to reply

sewildman50

sewildman50

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I did a search and can't find anything on this subject.

Basically my motherboard's CPU socket is fairly close to the top of the board. When my Thermaltake Mini Typhoon is installed on top, the corner of the copper heatsink just barely make contact with the cage of my PSU fan. The question is, am I going to be sending a current through the PSU? I figure that the first thing to go, if that was the case, would be the processor which is working just fine. I'm just wondering if I'm playing with fire by continuing to do this.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There is no electricity going thru the heatsink, only heat. The only problem i can see is any vibration may cause a steady buzzing sound coming from the contact between the heatsink and the PSU case. If you have the knowledge this is easily fixed by Dremel sanding down the edge of the fins for clearance, or buying a suitable heatsink that does not come as close. I had that problem with a new build in a old e-machines case. I used a Zerotherm CF900 which gave me a 1/4 inch clearance over the stock intel heatsink.

http://c1.neweggimag...-887-004-10.jpg

SRX660

sewildman50

sewildman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks for your response.

Actually what I did was put an eighth-inch piece of plastic between the PSU and one of the support brackets. When I tightened the screws at the back the plastic fit snuggly and didn't budge. So the PSU pitches upward towards the back very slightly but I now have about 1/16th of an inch clearance. I don't think I would be so bold as to sand down the heatsink. In fact, the fins of the heatsink are already clear. Because of the way the bracket fits into the base of the cooler, the top of the heatsink and fan are positioned like a diamond, rather than a square. That's what was causing it to touch the cage.

Thanks again.