Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network help

• Please log in to reply

thebullfrog

thebullfrog

• Pip
  • 7 posts
This is the setup i have right now:

In my basement i have the home computer, wired to a router thats connected to the cable modem, i have my computer (in my room, 2nd floor) also wired to the same router. i'm trying to setup my computer to act as a wireless access point, so my sister can connect to the internet on her laptop (windows vista).

On my computer i currently have 2 Ethernet ports, 1 is wired to the router downstairs, the other is free...what I'd like to happen is to use that free Ethernet port and plug in my access point and relay the signal to her room which is right beside mine.

Is it at all possible?

thanks, hope to hear from some of you.

Edited by thebullfrog, 29 June 2008 - 04:06 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Would it not be easier to use the wireless access point on the router instead of your computer?

thebullfrog

thebullfrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the router is in the basement, and the signal doesn't reach up here to my room and to hers, thus i did wired from my computer to downstairs, and want to setup the access point in my room through my computer, so she can get access.

i remember reading something about an Ad-hoc, but not sure how to do it.

thebullfrog

thebullfrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
mmm, i didn't see the network forum...can a admin or mod move this thread over to its proper place?

Thanks.