Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suck in safe mode.... not your typical scenero plz help

• Please log in to reply

Reed37420

Reed37420

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok.. so I was recentally infected with the XP antivirus virus... so I thought I would go into safe mode to delete it..
So I went through msconfig to get into safe mode... The problem.. for some reason my monitor wont turn on in safe mode...
I have no clue what the screen options are when you boot in safe mode via msconfig because I I obviousaly cant see anything.
I think that it is the monitors powersave feature because it never turned on untill the computer was past the boot menu (when I was booting normally).
So I was wondering if anyone could give me keystrokes to get out of safe mode completly blind

BTW I am running win XP home edition

Thanks,
Reed

Edited by Reed37420, 29 June 2008 - 04:43 PM.

Advertisements

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Why can't you just power down the PC. Did you use this procedure to go to safe mode through Msconfig?

Go to Start - Run and type or paste MSCONFIG then press enter

Click on the the Boot.ini tab

Click the box for /SAFEBOOT to select it

Minimal should be selected, if not select it

Click Apply then OK

Why didn't you just go to safe mode the usual way with F8?

How to get out of safe mode from the system configuration utility
If you use the system configuration utility to get into safe mMode you'll need to use it to get back out too.

Choose Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information.

Choose Tools > System Configuration Utility.
On the General tab, Select Normal Startup -- Load Device Drivers and Software.
Click OK then restart Windows by clicking Yes in the System Settings Change dialog box.

Edited by Old Geezer, 29 June 2008 - 05:03 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
His problem is that his PC tries to get into Safe Mode every time he boots it up, and since he can't actually get into Safe Mode, he is stuck in a loop.

So I don't think he will be able to do any of those steps

Read this link Reed

http://www.theelderg...showtopic=27654

This is one of the reasons why we don't have users reboot into Safe Mode via that method

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
OK. Well I did my best to decipher that dicombobulated post. You did good to figure what he is asking.

Reed37420

Reed37420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The problem is that if I was stuck in a loop I wouldn't know it.. the monitor isint responding to the computer at all.. the light just stays orange.

Before I changed the settings in msconfig to start in safe mode the monitor would only turn on at the windows start up screen, I never saw a boot menu of any sort.. Now that ive changed it the monitor just wont turn on at all.. therefor I cant see any kind of boot menu..
So im looking for the keystrokes for the boot menu to select the start windows normally options.... Its kind of a hard scenero to describe.
I'm basically working with a computer and a keyboard with no monitor..
My monitor works in the regular running mode but im stuck booting in safe mode because i went through msconfig. (which the monitor wont work under safe mode)

Is there a certain number of "down" keystrokes I can use in the safe boot menu to restart in normal mode, because I am working blind.

My fear is that since I configured it to safe boot through msconfig, the only way to get out is through msconfig.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
My fear is that since I configured it to safe boot through msconfig, the only way to get out is through msconfig

I posted the procedure to do that very thing.

Reed37420

Reed37420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
but I cant see anything.... thats the problem... sry if im bein a pain in the [bleep]

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

but I cant see anything.... thats the problem... sry if im bein a pain in the [bleep]

No you are not a pain in the butt. Sorry I forgot that you have a blind monitor.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
try this using your keyboard

press windows key
tap upper arrow three times
then press enter
hit spacebar
type in msconfig
press enter
then press upper arrow key
might be tricky here
press it twice
then enter twice
hopefully it will boot normally

Edited by Mr Freeze, 29 June 2008 - 06:49 PM.

Reed37420

Reed37420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It worked!! thank you soo much!!!

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
glad it worked :)