Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Home Networking\Domain setup

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Scenario: I'm trying to setup a home network to do some real life studying. Currently, I have one Server 2003 with role as domain controller with Active Directory and DNS Server. I've created test accounts and I've joined another computer (Client01) to the domain without issue. I've also configured the server as a file server. So I've created shares on the server and set permissions on shares. Created script to map to shares. I've logged on to users account on Client01 without issue. Drives map OK.

However, what I want to do next is share C: of Client01 on my domain and give only persmissions to domain admins to access the shared C: drive...but my domain is not listed. I just see the Client01 computer name.

Questions: Is this a DNS issue? I configured the DNS entry of my DNS server with DNS of the router. A friend of mine hinted that I have to get the DNS entry of the cable connection itself. So I actually have two separate DNS entries? And if do, what is the relationship to have my Client01 see the domain? :tazz: