Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Cursor XP problem running in Win XP

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

First, I'd like to thank Geeks to Go in advance for your assistance. :tazz:

Ok, here's the problem. I just clean installed my new HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop to Windows XP Professonal. After installing OS, this is what I did next:

1) Laptop drivers.
2) Avast Antivirus.
3) Cursor XP.
4) Icon Packager.
5) Ran windows update. It installed a few updates.

At this point, everything was fine.

Next, I installed SP2. After it finished updating to SP2, I restarted the laptop and there's when the problem occurred. Desktop taskbar and icons started to come and go, about 10 times, before it displayed the infamous "DrWatson Postmortem" error. The error went away and the desktop went to normal, taskbar and icons were showing, HOWEVER, when I moved my mouse to the Start button or taskbar, it would only show the time cursor, so I couldn't do anything. Also clicking on any desktop icon wouldn't do anything as well as going to Windows Task Manager, the time icon appeared. I could only shut down the laptop by pressing the on/off button. OK, so I botted up in Safe mode and unistalled Cursor XP and restarted in Normal mode and yeap everything is working fine.

I really would like to have Cursor XP work in my laptop but everytime I reinstall it, same problem occurs. This only happened after I installed Service Pack 2. I have just installed Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster. If anyone could please diagnose what is conflicting with Cursor XP and how I can get around the issue or if there's a free software that provides nice cursors, please share. Thanks for your time.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:58:24 PM, on 4/28/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Jenny\Desktop\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoomail.com/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1114702638310
O18 - Protocol: widimg - {EE7C2AFF-5742-44FF-BD0E-E521B0D3C3BA} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\btxppanel.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe

I'll be insalling more softwares.

Edited by eclaixp, 28 April 2005 - 04:18 PM.