Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Very Bad Booting Problem. Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Mikey311

Mikey311

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
So it all started when i messed up my registry on my computer. i downloaded this disk cleaner and used it, now nothing is working. i turn on my computer and it says floppy diskette seek failure, then underneath it it says, strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. i click F1 and it says no boot device found. there is also a windows boot cd in the cd rom. so i tried messing with the bios, but nothing happened. Here's a link to a picture of my screen when it boots and after i press F1 once: http://i28.photobuck..._0629082013.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Mikey

Edited by Mikey311, 29 June 2008 - 09:20 PM.

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
have you tried tapping F8
go to safemode and do a system restore
its a good idea to consult with someone when it comes to downloads
some of these downloads are setup to cause harm to computers

Edited by Mr Freeze, 29 June 2008 - 10:50 PM.

Mikey311

Mikey311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
tried F8, but nothing happened. thanks for the help though.

and ya, it was really stupid of me to just use any program i thought might work, oh well, we learn from our mistakes.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
you could slave to another computer get your valuable information off

while you have it slaved to another computer try running a chkdsk /r on the drive

try this program...if it works then try a system restore from safemode
system restore is good for registry changes..go back when it worked good

Try Safe Mode the F8 method only please !

Edited by Rorschach112, 04 July 2008 - 04:57 AM.
That program is dangerous

Mikey311

Mikey311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
how do u slave a computer?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Mikey
Start tapping F8 as soon as the computer starts BEFORE you get to the error message.
do you get an option then for Safe mode ?
Is the Windows cd you have the one that came with the computer?
Cheers
peterm

Mikey311

Mikey311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hey peterm,

i tried the F8 couple of times, but i didn't get a safe mode message and i got the same message as before. the cd isn't the same one that came with it, but i've used the cd on other computer before and it works fine.

thanks for the help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Mikey
Sorry for the delay. Started a new job and have not been able to get to my computer.
If you are sure the computer is set to boot from cd (bios setting) and it won't then we may have to look at slaving your drive. Are you ok to open the case and look at booth computers.
Ide drive Wide cable
Sata drive Narrow cable
Cheers
peterm

Mikey311

Mikey311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
oh it's alright peterm,

so the working computer has an Ide drive, and the broken one has a Sata drive.

P.S. congrats on your new job!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Being different drives does not help matters.
Ok Double check your bios settings. Press F2 and make sure that the CD is set as 1st boot option.
If this is set right then your computer should boot from the cd, very odd if it won't.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 05 July 2008 - 09:02 PM.

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Might sound kindof silly, but there isn't a floppy drive inserted right? You also might try removing the floppy device from the boot menu in the BIOS. Gonna go with Peterm on this one and say you probably have it booting from the wrong device first.

Access the BIOS, then:
http://img399.images...33/bios4lg2.png
http://img71.imagesh...03/bios5kt7.png

Ensure that the first boot device is the CD-Rom drive and the second is HDD. You can push floppy down to third or even take it off the list completely.

Mikey311

Mikey311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hey lurky,

there actually isn't even a floppy drive to begin with on that computer. that's why i'm stumped.

and i did the bios thing, nohting changed it's still looking for the floppy diskette, then no boot device found.

thanks for the help though.

Mikey311

Mikey311

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
oh and peterm, i made the cdrom the only thing to boot from and it's still looking for a floppy diskette, it's actually kinda scary. haha

thanks for the help though, i'm gonna send it to my crazy computer friend maybe he can fix it.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
in the first screen there is normally a section that has the floppy listed - this is also where the hard drives are located. Check if the floppy is there and change to none.
This is different to the boot order screen.
Cheers
peterm