Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 720 trying to connect with PPTP VPN

• Please log in to reply

ibroussard

ibroussard

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm using XP Pro SP2 (and some automatic updates) on this workstation. I am trying to connect to a PPTP VPN server. This has been working well for several years. The last time I tried (before the failures started) was early May and it worked then, but XP applied some automatic updates since then. When I try to connect, it finds the server, validates my user ID and password, then fails with an error 720 when "Registering your computer on the network...". Note that the same error occurs when trying to connect to a PPTP VPN server at a different customer/client site, which (before the failures started) I hadn't connected to since probably sometime in April. Similarly, a Cisco IPSec VPN client that I use to connect to another different customer/client site is now failing even though it had worked well for several years (again, I haven't tried it for several months until just recently).

If I use a different machine (running W2K Pro) on the same LAN as my workstation, I can get to all three. I verified that both of my machines are using the same TCP/IP and VPN settings. I've been using these VPN connections for a couple of years with no problems until recently. I tried the suggested fix at...

http://mx04.com/pipe...225/030311.html

...but that didn't help. Question on the above fix though...in step 2.3, it says...

"Open the orignal copy of netrasa.inf and place a semicolon in front of the line that starts "Excludefromselect=\" and and continue with all follwing lines and then end with "MS_NdisWanNbfIn,MS_NdisWanNbfOut" under the [ControlFlags] section. (all lines between)"

I found the .inf file, and the lines...

ExcludeFromSelect =\
SW\{eeab7790-c514-11d1-b42b-00805fc1270e},\
MS_IrdaMiniport,\
MS_IrModemMiniport, \
MS_L2tpMiniport,MS_PptpMiniport,MS_PtiMiniport,\
MS_PppoeMiniport, \
MS_NdisWanAtalk,\
MS_NdisWanBh,\
MS_NdisWanIp,\
MS_NdisWanIpx,\
MS_NdisWanNbfIn,MS_NdisWanNbfOut

It is unclear to me if the instruction above is saying to put a semicolon at the start of each line or just the first. I tried it both ways and it didn't work with either.

The results of the netsh command are...

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\EnableLmhosts
reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{32A6ADEF-BAA0-4F3E-9405-8C6CFFF655BB}\RawIpAllowedProtocols
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{32A6ADEF-BAA0-4F3E-9405-8C6CFFF655BB}\TcpAllowedPorts
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{32A6ADEF-BAA0-4F3E-9405-8C6CFFF655BB}\UdpAllowedPorts
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AD6AAD30-1D8A-46B3-B5A6-191DE05DB0AD}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AD6AAD30-1D8A-46B3-B5A6-191DE05DB0AD}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AD6AAD30-1D8A-46B3-B5A6-191DE05DB0AD}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AD6AAD30-1D8A-46B3-B5A6-191DE05DB0AD}\RawIpAllowedProtocols
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AD6AAD30-1D8A-46B3-B5A6-191DE05DB0AD}\TcpAllowedPorts
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AD6AAD30-1D8A-46B3-B5A6-191DE05DB0AD}\UdpAllowedPorts
old REG_MULTI_SZ =

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableIcmpRedirect
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableSecurityFilters
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\SearchList
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\TcpMaxDataRetransmissions
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\UseDomainNameDevolution
reset Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\NET\0003. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
DNE

reset Linkage\UpperBind for PCI\VEN_1737&DEV_1032&SUBSYS_00241737&REV_10\3&61AAA01&0&48. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
DNE

reset Linkage\UpperBind for USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0B02\5&1A89CAC0&0&1. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
DNE

reset Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\NET\0001. bad value was:
REG_MULTI_SZ =
DNE

<completed>

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AD6AAD30-1D8A-46B3-B5A6-191DE05DB0AD}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AD6AAD30-1D8A-46B3-B5A6-191DE05DB0AD}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{AD6AAD30-1D8A-46B3-B5A6-191DE05DB0AD}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\TcpMaxDataRetransmissions
<completed>

The lines that were commented out in the netrasa.inf file are still commented out (have a semicolon at the beginning) after the netsh command.

The first automatic update after the last time I know I was able to connect was installed on 5/20/08. There are also five $NtUninstall folders that are dated 6/24/08 (after the problems started). I first encountered the problem on 6/5/08, so something happened between 5/2/08 (last time I tried and was successful getting connected) and 6/5/08 (first time I tried since 5/2/08 and first time I got the error 720. Is there a way to back out the automatic updates? I have already cloned my drive to a new drive (and also TrueImage backed up the drive to a LAN drive) and am running of the clone, so I am set up to try most anything.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ira

Advertisements