Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I hook a surge protect up to cable modem or?

• Please log in to reply

rowboat

rowboat

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I hope I have the correct forum but I was wondering if I hook a surge strip up to my cable modem or to the ethernet part will it slow down my low speed high speed (comparable to dsl speed).

The cable guy thinks it will, do they make strips w/ ethernet holes? Would it be better to pick up the protector thier instead of at wall cable to modem to stop slowing?

Thanks hope this made sense.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Since i live in the lightning capitol of the world, i must have UPS protection for my computers. SO i run everything thru UPS's, which includes my cable internet. I have a UPS that allows my cable input line to be attached to it with a separate cable going out from the UPS to my wireless router. I also have my cable modem plugged into a surge protector( different one as i have 2 UPS's and 2 surge protectors for 4 computers). This gives me the maximum protection i can have.

So, the only real problem i can have is that lightning can kill the cable modem. Since the cable company will replace the modem for free if it is damaged by lightning, i do not run the cable line to the UPS before it goes to the modem. I have the UPS set between the cable modem and my router. Yes, i could run the cable line to my UPS before the modem but i was getting a slower speed by doing so. It might not matter now that i am getting 15 MBps speed from the cable company but years ago it did matter when i was only getting 1 MBps. Back then running the cable line thru the UPS slowed it down by half, and i was not going to pay for the extra speed if i was not getting it. One of the cable tech guys mentioned not having the modem on UPS as a way of bypassing the speed issue, and i took his advice.

Since my system really never even uses the speed i have available, i use the maximum protection i can get.

Nowadays you probably will not have any speed issues by hooking a surge protector in-line. The cable company's have worked most of this out already.

SRX660

rowboat

rowboat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey thanks :)
Question tho', How do I do this tho'? My surge protect has a coax cable surge protect holes to use but if I connect it after the modem it would be only w/ an ethernet cable (like a phone cord but larger) Do surge strips come w/ that opening?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Why yes they do. This Belkin BRE-112234-10 surge protector has 2 RJ-45 sockets right in the top at the end. You can buy This protector from Newegg for $20 right now( with a $5 rebate, sigh :) ).

http://www.newegg.co...Coax Protection

http://www.newegg.co...lkin-_-42121010

There are others. but you will just have to look them up. Try a google search for ethernet surge protector.

SRX660

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
For better lightning protection, I recommend a properly installed UPS unit. Some of these come with connections for protecting phone line/dsl modems, cable modem and more. It also provides very good protection from spikes, brownouts and total power failure in that it gives you time to shut down your computer properly. Some even tie to computer and will do this for you.

A UPS provides far better protection than any surge protector on the market.

BTW, according to the Guiness Book of Records, Ithe lightning capital of the world was tampa, FL. Has that changed?

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 30 June 2008 - 07:14 PM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Well, SRX660 lives in Florida, just doesn't say *where* in Florida...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I saw that. Just checking to see if The GB of R has changed it from Tampa. I was born and raised in Tampa.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 30 June 2008 - 08:00 PM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
ah, gawtcher

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I'm 15 miles north of tampa. While i do use UPS's for everything in my house including the refrigerator, the real reason that i use them is because we have numerous momentary power outages which can cause more damage to a computer than real lightning strikes. I have had only 2 real close lightning strikes, but 1000's of power outages. Multiple power outages within a few minutes caused a old pentium 200 Packard-Bell comp to crash so badly i had to reinstall win 95 back on the computer. Of course i had to go out and buy a win 95 oem CD to reinstall since P-B had decided that a recovery CD was unnecessary. I also have had power surges thru the power lines, telephone lines and cable internet line damage at least 5 computers over the years.

I still have a 10 year old APC ups's that work just fine. Remember the ones that had only 2 plugins in the back, this is the one. Right now i have7 UPS's in the house for various stuff. Both my Plasma TV and 24" LCD bedroom TV are on their own UPS's, same thing for the refrigerator( yes, lightning has damaged a refrig that was in my house, it quit working).

I do not like making recommendations for anything. I just assume people ask questions on what they need and so i don't really try to tell them what they need to do beyond what they ask.

SRX660

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I do not like making recommendations for anything. I just assume people ask questions on what they need and so i don't really try to tell them what they need to do beyond what they ask.

SRX660

I like to go the extra mile and in this case you had answer the question which left me with just the other alternative.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 01 July 2008 - 03:39 AM.