Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird 30-40 Seconds Freeze

• Please log in to reply

James_478

James_478

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay hope someone can point me to the problem (believe I know what it could be, just verification really)

I'm playing my music and about a minute into the music it would stop playing, but the progress bar would keep moving, after about 30-40 seconds it would resume it's playing.

If I loaded the X64 version of media Player it happens less frequently. The same thing happens with Videos, Movies, DVDs, Anything in Media Player really, no matter the source.

When installing 'ANY' program, just as it starts to install the music stutters. This happens in both X86 and X64 player.

I was told I should run Prime95 to stress the CPU and see if any problems could be found, it reported none on either core after about 9 and a half hours.

After running Prime95 however my problem has become worse, now it happens everywhere in windows. The whole machine freezes for 30-40 seconds and then resumes as if all was fine.

I have changed the Power Supply, I have replaced the Hard Drive, I have replaced the motherboard and I have run scans on my RAM. EVERYTHING came back fine. All the cables inside of the PC have been replaced too. All that is left is Graphics and CPU.

I have a new 790FX Giga-Byte Motherboard, an nVIDIA 8500GT, an AMD Athlon X2 64 5600+ 2 and 320GB Western Digital SATAs.

Oddly enough though this problem is NOT existent in Ubuntu 8.04.

Any suggestions would be great.

I am currently Running Windows Vista Ultimate X64 SP1, I have also tried installing from a different disc.

--EDIT-- Another interesting point is that when I install Windows Vista, after loading windows for the 'Second' time it tells me that the Event Viewer couldn't log any events, this never happens again after this :S

Thanks,

James

Edited by James_478, 30 June 2008 - 03:37 AM.

Advertisements

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I also have a Gigabyte Mobo at work and have this same issue when playing any media while running something from the cd drive. This also happens when I play a DVD when not doing anything else. I have read that this has to do with the IDE controller drivers supplied with the Mobo Driverset. I will try to find the site that clued me in - it may help you.

EDIT: It's not a Gigabyte, but an ECS p965t-a. But it definintely has to do with the IDE controller drivers.

Edited by Decepticon, 30 June 2008 - 08:44 AM.

James_478

James_478

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This no longer happens JUST when playing media though, happens ALL the time now :)

it's also a brand new Gigabyte board. 790FX

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yeah, I would check out the IDE controller drivers. That solved the issues with my board.

James_478

James_478

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I had this problem with my nForce based board, re-installed drivers there. This is now an AMD based board and it still does it. It does it with no IDE drive plugged in and with new IDE cables.