Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing registry files

• Please log in to reply

joedog77

joedog77

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It started with my own stupidity. The Weather Channel (I thought) sent me an update option; I accepted and all heck broke loose. 1- Cannot run defragmenter. 2- Cannot install Windows update. 3- Did receive a msg. saying MMC cannot open the file ...... I did the re-installation you mention for that using my Win Pro XP CD. It took over an hour but did not fix the problem. 3- I uninstalled AVG-8 to get rid of the toolbar. 4- Windows update downloaded but did not install (Svc pack 3 with related files) 5- I cannot do a backup as the CD Burner will not work either. Started transfering via email to my laptop - rediculous, takes too long and so I stopped doing that. 6- I just reinstalled AVG, I felt like I was running around the net naked. Any suggestions???

Edited by joedog77, 30 June 2008 - 05:59 AM.

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello joedog77,

Welcome to GeekstoGo.

If you installed a program that has made your computer unstable, you can open system restore, choose a restore point, and return your computer to its previous stable state.

Do this : Click Start, and then click Help and Support. Under Pick a Task, click Undo changes to your computer with System Restore. Follow the instructions on the wizard. Select the date before you installed update.

Regards,

joedog77

joedog77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you Mirjel but that is not an option. Tried that first, NO available dates to restore too.....

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Try reboot tapping F8, choose safe mode...does this recur? Try Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), Safe Mode with Networking and Enable VGA mode. What happens.

Regards,

joedog77

joedog77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Going out to work in a few but the problem is not on this computer, it is on my PC (XP home) Right now spybot is running on it and reportedly I have 41 issues of malware. I will attempt a clean up on that and when I come home later I will try as you suggested in safe mode. Good idea and thanks. Joe

Edited by joedog77, 30 June 2008 - 08:31 AM.

joedog77

joedog77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again: Rebooted into safe mode (F8) many windows flip flops but I ended up with my NORMAL home page except my virus protection was disabled as was S.M.A.R.T. <--a new thing. I have just about had it. I am trying to justify a total wipe out and reinstallation with Vista...OMG I have years worth of stuff here....new essays....two books....important data that I cannot back up without a CD burner....floppys won't hold this.....I am taking this machine off to "the man" and tell him I want all info reloaded into a new install....either XP or Vista....I will hold off on this until my brain settles a bit but I am frazzled....Defrag will not work...I cannot do Windows update and there are like 30 updates there...will not install. CD is out, Defrag is out, Update is out. Safe mode does nothing.......ANYBODY????????

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello joedog77,

You have a Windows XP CD installation disc, so we need to repair your Windows Operating System. First, go into your BIOS-Setup and change the Bootsequence to CD-ROM, otherwise we can't boot from it (search for an menu entry like Bootsequence, First Boot Device, or something similarly).

Restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc and folow this instruction.

Regards