Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It won't let me in!

• Please log in to reply

tomwunder

tomwunder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a tower PC, with XP home. When I power it up it goes through the start process, it gets to the windows screen with the blue loading bar, the lights on the modem come on then after 10 or so seconds the power goes off, then comes on again and goes through this cycle over and over again never getting any further then this. When I turn the machine off the light on the key board stays on as does the light on the card reader slots although there or no cards in any of the slots. Any advice would be grateful received as my wife is getting quite perplexed with me. :)

Advertisements

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
How are you powering off the PC, just by hitting the power button? If so, try holding the button in for at least 5 seconds to completely power off the PC. If that does not work, try unplugging the PC for 30 seconds and plugging it back in and powering it on. If it is still going through the power cycleing, it may be an OS issue where a driver is corrupt (or other file) causing windows to blue screen (BSoD) where it flashes so fast on the screen that either your monitor doesn't display it or you can't see it - (there is a setting in Windows that disables the PC from restarting immediately after this type of error but since you can't get into windows, it may not be possible).

Also try this:
When you start your PC, after it shows the POST (testing memory, detects drives etc etc) immediately press the F8 key. This should bring up a menu that gives you several choices - 'Start Normally' - 'Safe Mode' - 'Safe Mode with Networking' - 'Safe Mode with Command prompt' etc etc. Once you get this menu, boot to 'Safe Mode' and see if it will at least load Windows in Safe Mode. If it does, thenyou probably have a corrupt driver or corrupt file loading at startup.

Report back with your findings.

Edited by Decepticon, 30 June 2008 - 08:57 AM.

tomwunder

tomwunder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Decepticon, It now turns off competely but wont start windows still. I tried what you suggested ( Safe Mode, then -your last normal setting- then normal start mode - none of them made any difference it still does the same thing. What next? is it terminal???

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello tomwunder,

It sounds like a Power Supply issue.
Do you have another Power Supply you can try?
Or maybe a friend that can let you borrow his to check this.

I would've let you run a program to check the PSU (Power Supply Unit) but since it's in a booting loop we can't do that :)
Also, what is the Beep code you receive when you start up the computer?
The beep code is supposed to be 1 short beep. This indicates the computer booted normally.

Regards,
Olrik

Decepticon

Decepticon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yeah, I would say it's a PSU issue as well. Are all the fans running when you start the PC up? Check your CPU fan as well, as it could be overheating very quickly as well. But, it sounds like it's more like a PSU issue.