Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Passing a program from my pendrive to my pc

• Please log in to reply

David Firestorm

David Firestorm

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
First of all thanks to everyone that took the time to read this and for any and all the help you can provide me.

Now for the issue, I need to run a program that is in my pendrive from my pc. The program in question is a program that runs through VMplayer, it is a program that was given to me as a company representative. The program allows me to build custom products and gives me a quotation for them. When they showed us how the program worked they where running it from a pc and it work very nicely, but they gave it to us on a pendrive from which it runs painfully slow. I'm talking about 15min for program to load and 2-5min of wait every time I input something, so a quotation that should take about 20min could easily take 2hrs. Now you can see my problem. Anyways this program is HUGE for it to be running on a pendrive, I mean the drive has to be 8gb just to fit it in. So I tried copying all the files to my pc and run them from there, when to my surprise the VMplayer says it can't run the program cause it has been copied from its original location.

So if anyone knows how to bypass this error so I can run it from my pc I'll be eternally grateful.

Thanks again for your time and aid.

Sincerely,
David

PS Thanks for the great site, has been very helpful in the past even though this is my first actual thread. :)

Edited by David Firestorm, 30 June 2008 - 09:51 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, it sounds like that you had a product demonstration and then given to it on a pen usb drive for you to play with. This is something they do as a way for you to see what other products they have to entice you to buy. VMware is a great company and this product is actually a free product that you can download.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

David Firestorm

David Firestorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It's not a product demonstration they give us(company reps) the product packed inside an 8gb pendrive thing is I can't use it from anywhere outside that drive. Part of our team went to their base company in Europe and received the drive there, we didn't notice the problem of not being able to run it directly from a pc till they returned home. What we want to do is bypass the usable only from original location thing. I mean even if we must run it from a pendrive we have 4 employees running quotations and only 1 pendrive with the program the company gave us to do so. No one said anything because like I already said we didn't know about this lock till we got back, and even if we ask them to send us a couple more drives we still have the speed problem.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
just go to the link I provided, download the application and install it on your pc, laptop, ect. That way it runs from the pc and not the pen drive.

David Firestorm

David Firestorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok I see I didn't explain my self correctly and I apologize for that. VMplayer works from my pc the problem is the software they gave me for VMplayer to run. It's a vmdk file and that's what I can only run from it's original location, not the player. So what I'd like to be able to do is run the vmdk file from my pc and not the pendrive.