Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network help.

• Please log in to reply

thebullfrog

thebullfrog

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I posted in the windows xp forum, did not see this section till it was too late. This is what i wrote over there:

This is the setup i have right now:

In my basement i have the home computer, wired to a router thats connected to the cable modem, i have my computer (in my room, 2nd floor) also wired to the same router. i'm trying to setup my computer to act as a wireless access point of sort, so my sister can connect to the internet on her laptop (windows vista).

On my computer i currently have 2 Ethernet ports, 1 is wired to the router downstairs, the other is free...what I'd like to happen is to use that free Ethernet port and plug in my access point and relay the signal to her room, which is right beside mine.

Is it at all possible?

thanks, hope to hear from some of you.

For additional info, i have it plugged in right now but its showing limited or no connectivity, with the yellow triangle/exclamation point on the local area connection 2.

Edited by thebullfrog, 30 June 2008 - 11:40 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello thebullfrog and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I have bad experiences with 'routing' connections through Home PCs.
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a Wireless router instead? (Is that an option?)
Wireless routers work really well, you just need to make sure you secure the network.

Regards,
Olrik

thebullfrog

thebullfrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Olrik

well the router in the basement is a wired/wireless router, but the signal doesn't reach upstairs to my room, i purchased the dlink access point to use as an access point so i can get connection up here on the 2nd floor, it was working for awhile..then for some reason it stopped connecting.

i tried figuring out why, but i just gave up and had the help of my dad to snake a CAT5 cable up to my room through the walls, to my computer.

Now what I'm trying to do is make the access point work from my computer, since it has connection through the other port, so my sister can get the same connection from the family network.

I'd rather not purchase a router, cause I'm tight on money and i already bought this access point a couple months ago, so i'd like to get my moneys worth out of it :)

and thanks, glad to be here!

Chris.

Edited by thebullfrog, 01 July 2008 - 10:49 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
A few questions:

Does your sister have a built in network card on the PC?
Are you trying to let the access point Transmit or Receive on the network?

Regards,
Olrik

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....does your computer upstairs have wireless? if so why not just plug the AP into the cable you had your dad run upstairs? then just have all the computers upstairs connect wireless to the AP?

thebullfrog

thebullfrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

A few questions:

Does your sister have a built in network card on the PC?
Are you trying to let the access point Transmit or Receive on the network?

Regards,
Olrik

1) she has a laptop and yes its built in (with windows vista)
2) transmit, basically as a relay point or repeater

....does your computer upstairs have wireless? if so why not just plug the AP into the cable you had your dad run upstairs? then just have all the computers upstairs connect wireless to the AP?

Good thinking, never tried that....i'll do that and report back, BUT i'm guessing i'm going to have the same problem as before as not connecting to the AP wirelessly...but i'll try anyway.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

2) transmit, basically as a relay point or repeater

I'm of course not sure what device you bought, But some devices that you can plug in only receive and don't transmit.
It's one of the problems I come across with a lot of people in my local region.

dsenette's sollution is possible.
You should get no problems as the only thing you'll be doing is switching around some cables and devices.

Regards,
Olrik

thebullfrog

thebullfrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well look at that, it worked!

I'm connected to the network via wireless through the AP, as well as my sisters laptop.

Thanks dsenette, it was so simple...can't believe i didn't think of it.

Edited by thebullfrog, 01 July 2008 - 03:38 PM.