Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow computer.

• Please log in to reply

payback45

payback45

• Pip
  • 5 posts
First off here are some stats on my computer: Intel celeron 2.13 ghz, motherboard model p4v8x-mx, memory 1279MB, Nvidia geforfe fx 5500. I am by no means a computer wizz.

When I try to watch streaming video it is VERY choppy. The audio is perfect. Also when I open the nvidia control panel the Gamma bar is always to the far left. And no matter how many times I reset it to the middle and click apply the next time it is right back to the far left. What can I do?

The volume icon (speaker) never stays in the bottom right corner after a reset. Every time I have to go to the sounds and audio devices and reload it.

Lastly, will a new hard drive for C drive make my computer better or faster. It is a older HD with only 40GB total. there is 17GB free right now. I also have another internal HD that has only music on it and it is also old and only has about 6GB left free.

Can anyone help me on any of my problems??

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
First, I would try defragmenting both of your hard drives (Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter.)

If you were running out of space (like under 5GB left) on your C: drive that could have a rather large impact on your speed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You mentioned video being choppy. What are you on for an Internet connection? (Although since the Audio was perfect, that shouldn't matter...)

payback45

payback45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I defrag all the time. I have a 8mb connection. At least that is what I am paying for. I have run a few clean up programs and reg defrag programs too. Still same problems. I have also tried t update my drivers too.

payback45

payback45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Since my HD is almost 10 years old would a new on with more space and just being newer do anything for me? This is the one I am looking at.

Seagate
Internal 3.5 Inch Hard Drives
500GB - SATA NCQ

What is SATA?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
SATA is Serial ATA. Much faster then IDE, and you mobo should support it. Yes, I think that would definitely help improve your performance, but you'll have to reinstall everything on the new hard drive. Do you do any gaming? If so, how's the video performance? If that's also ridiculously choppy, you may want to look at a new video card...

payback45

payback45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no gaming here. Thats what the PS3 is for. the seagate HD I am looking at will transfer everything including the OS to the new HD. I just dont know if the MB and the new HD will be compatible.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I looked up that model on Newegg, and the board *does* have SATA capability. However, depending on the age of your PSU, you may run into an issue with that, because most SATA drives take a SATA power cable.

payback45

payback45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
FYI I bought the new HD and installed it. So far it seems better.
How do I keep the volume icon in the task bar even after i reset the computer?
The same with the Gamma bar in the nvidia control panel?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Check and make sure all the drivers are installed properly. In the Sound applet in the Control Panel there's a check box for displaying the icon on the systray. I don't know about the gamma settings tho.