Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista to XP downgrade = WiFi Troubles

• Please log in to reply

Taxi

Taxi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,
I'm posting this here because I've completely run out of ideas how to fix the problem I'm having...

It all started with me (foolishly) installing Vista.
The install went fairly smoothly, but I was unable to connect to any wireless router, regardless of security settings.
After a few hours of troubleshooting, installing new drivers, and trying a different wireless adapter, I gave up and went back to XP.
Since I foresaw the potential for trouble when switching operating systems, I installed Vista on a physically separate drive from XP.
Once I loaded back into XP, I was having the same wireless adapter problem - both of the adapters that worked in the past would detect wireless networks,
but would refuse to connect. I tried re-installing the appropriate drivers, but the issues persisted. All of my other devices worked just fine, exactly
as before the upgrade/downgrade.

I've also tried switching wireless routers just in case that was causing problems, but to no avail.

The motherboard I'm using is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. I've attempted connecting via the built-in RTL 8187 as well as a NetGear USB adapter.

Is there something that Vista does that I have failed to roll back?
Has anyone heard of a similar issues in the past?
Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
hi Taxi and welcome to G2G... :)
try unplugging the drive that contains vista..