Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't seem to rid my PC of virus/spyware [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I currently have McAfee Antivirus and Firewall which come free from Comcast. They're up to date. Should I keep McAfee or do you recommend removing it and installing one of the ones you recommended. I keep on my Windows updates except for this last time only because it wasn't allowing it. I have Google toolbar but I don't think there is any updates for it. If there are, they're either getting done automatically and I'm not noticing or I just haven't updated it ever. I'll look around. As far as the antispyware. I have Adaware. Should I download all of the other ones, or do you only need 1. How about SuperAntiSpyware? Should I keep it? That's the one that seemed to actually remove my recent spyware. Adaware and Spybot found a ton of stuff but I was still getting a ton of popups. Do you also recommed periodically running the Kapersky scan? Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hello APCSystems,

Let's do one more bit of cleaning up that I overlooked. It would not have done any harm by missing it, it will remove some of the tools we used.

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image

There wouldn't be any problems keeping McAfee, as long as you occaisionly perform an online scan with a product such as Kaspersky. A periodical online scan is something that should be done regardless of what AV you use and is something that I certainly recommend. Google toolbar won't have any updates. I would suggest keeping SuperAntiSpyware and you can also use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

You can download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • If the log results are worrying, then certainly post those results in a reply to this thread.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

I will leave the thread open for a few days in case of misfortune. :)

APCSystems

APCSystems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Okay, here's what I have:

McAfee AntiVirus & Firewall
Google Toolbar
Adaware 7.0
Super Antispyware
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Windows updates always up to date (I've held off on SP3 so far, should I go ahead and install it?)

Computer is running great. I'll remove the combofix when I get home. I appreciate all you've done.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Glad to hear everythings running well. :)

Personally, I would install SP3.

Ad-Aware 2008 is the current version, you can download for free here. Other than that your set-up looks good.

Safe surfing. :)

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.