Can't seem to rid my PC of virus/spyware [RESOLVED]
Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:38 AM
Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:02 AM
Let's do one more bit of cleaning up that I overlooked. It would not have done any harm by missing it, it will remove some of the tools we used.
Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware
- Click START then RUN
- Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
There wouldn't be any problems keeping McAfee, as long as you occaisionly perform an online scan with a product such as Kaspersky. A periodical online scan is something that should be done regardless of what AV you use and is something that I certainly recommend. Google toolbar won't have any updates. I would suggest keeping SuperAntiSpyware and you can also use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
You can download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here
Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
- The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
- The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- If the log results are worrying, then certainly post those results in a reply to this thread.
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.
I will leave the thread open for a few days in case of misfortune.
Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:43 AM
McAfee AntiVirus & Firewall
Windows updates always up to date (I've held off on SP3 so far, should I go ahead and install it?)
Computer is running great. I'll remove the combofix when I get home. I appreciate all you've done.
Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:13 AM
Personally, I would install SP3.
Ad-Aware 2008 is the current version, you can download for free here. Other than that your set-up looks good.
Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:00 PM
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users