Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DLINK DIR655

• Please log in to reply

Vandals909

Vandals909

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a DLINK DIR655 as my wireless router. My laptop has a built in wireless card, run by WIN XP. I have some dead spots and loose connection occasionally. I was wondering do you think a USB N Adapater our a WIRELESS card recommended by DLINK for that router would improve performance? Just wonderinf before I drop $70-80. Thanks in advance for all opinions.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello Vandals909,
Just out of curiosity where is your Wireless router located in your home/office? I would make sure to narrow down the issue to the Wireless router itself or your built in wireless network card for your laptop. Btw could you also post the specifications of your built in wireless card? Another note, have you checked your wireless router's channel to make sure there's no interference with other wireless networks? I know some people tend not to change their channel from the defaulted channel 6 and receive interference from other wireless networks.

Vandals909

Vandals909

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Positioning of the router is good, the wireless card in my laptop is a Intel 2200 BG, how do you change the channel on your router? Mine does show 6, also how do you tell if there is interfearance?

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
You have to log into the router by typing in its default IP address to enter the configuration. It should look something like 192.168.0.1 or something close to that. All of your administrative passwords and such should have came in the manual with your router. Basically you can automatically assume interference when you notice that when you are given a choice for a wireless network you see other peoples SSID, so that means they are broadcasting on the same channel as you. Also, it's usually a good idea to change the default channel to something other than 6 for security purposes (since malicious people know that channel 6 is default and will try and sniff your wireless connection out).