Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing from Win 98 via an XP

• Please log in to reply

Rev Trev

Rev Trev

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have set up a network of 3 PCs running XP and 1 running 98. I have a printer connected to one of the XPs which the other XPs can see and use.

But I have difficulty printing from the 98. I got it working last night via a local port, but on rebooting today I cannot reproduce this.

Why does the 98 not see the printer on the network, when all file sharing is active and working? How do I set up the printer connection on the 98 to run reliably?

Printer drivers are installed.

Appreciate any assistance. Have I stated the problem clearly? What do I need to do?

Edited by Rev Trev, 28 April 2005 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Can you see the printer from Windows 98 machine in network neighborhood and not print to it? Or can you not see it?

What is the Printers "share name" Reduce the name to something with no spaces and less than 8 characters (print1, for example)

Rev Trev

Rev Trev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the response... Much appreciated, and has solved the problem.

I could not see the printer on network neighborhood on the 98, but could see the shared docs folders on the other machines. But the printer share name was long and had spaces.

Having reduced the share name to 8 consecutive letters I can now see it on network neighborhood on the 98, and successfully print.

Regards

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Love the easy ones....