Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some minor problems.

• Please log in to reply

MatCon5

MatCon5

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have a small problem, if I make a shortcut of a folder, and put it in the quickbar or under Start (doesn't matter how many files are in it) Or click the Open Directory button when inserting a USB drive etc, it takes anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds for it to appear for me to work with.

Could this be caused by fragments, or fragments in my pagefile and MFT? Diskeeper tells me my MFT is using 99% of it's space. I've done some reading around and a lot of people say after using the offline method to defrag MFT and pagefile etc they had to reformat their drives due to it mucking it up some how. This scares me and would rather not use Diskeeper.

Are there other ways to defrag these volumes? MFT, pagefile etc? and if so, are they safe?

Thank you all in advance.

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello MatCon5,

Here you have some :

PageDefrag http://technet.micro...s/bb897426.aspx

Contig http://technet.micro...s/bb897426.aspx

There are quite a few free ones. Drive Utilities, sort by license http://www.majorgeek...php?id=8&sort=7

Regards,

MatCon5

MatCon5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Is there any risk in damaging my hard drive? As I mentioned before I've read that some people had to reformat because these types of tools made their hard drive unbootable.

Thanks in advance.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello MatCon5,

Before you do defragmentation please tell me how much free space you have on your disk C.

Regards,

MatCon5

MatCon5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
C: 298GB with 103GB Free.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
My friend used Diskeeper for years and adjusted the MFT. It was nice to shrink the MFT but I really did not see that much of a difference in size or speed. It is also very risky. Twice is caused major problems that required a lot of work to fix.

If you want to use one of them risk is your.

Regards,

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
By far the most reliable method to defrag ones pagefile, is to reset it.

Set the pagefile values to zero.
Reboot
Go into safe-mode, defrag the entire drive.(Less drivers and services running in safe-mode)
When done defragging, set the pagefile again.
Reboot.

Abydos