Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I install another firewall ?

• Please log in to reply

Shuby

Shuby

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, it's just a simple question, I have Norton Antivirus(with it's firewall enabled) and malware byte anti maleware + windows firewall.
So, can I install comodo firewall ?
And is my computer secure enough ?

Thanks.

PS:exuse my poor english.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You cannot have more than one firewall running or this is going to cause a lot of problems.

Since you have the Norton firewall and the Windows firewall, you need to disable one of these

If you try install Comodo along with those, this is going to be a major headache. Installing multiple anti-virus or firewall programs isn't going to make things twice as secure, in fact it will make things a lot less secure.

Shuby

Shuby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for replying so quickly.
But when I disable WS firewall, I get this message that my connection is not firewalled !?

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

From my knowledge Norton Anti virus does not have a firewall built into it. That is Norton Internet Security Suite. So i would wager to guess that you dont have a 3rd party firewall installed.

Cheers,
Mak

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
check your firewall settings after you disable one
check with your norton then your ok
if norton is not enabled then check windows firewall
see if its enabled
if none are enabled then just enable one of your choice
but only one as it was mentioned have two enabled decreases your protection
and cause your system to slow down
disabling WS firewall maybe giving a false message but check all firewalls only allow one enabled

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Norton AntiVirus 2008 has the advanced antivirus and spyware protection you need
to shield your computer from today’s evolving internet threats. .

Either keep your Windows firewall on or download and use either Comodo firewall or ZoneAlarm. Normally when these programs are installed, they will turn off Windows' firewall themselves to prevent conflicts. I've used ZoneAlarm for years, but several others seem to like Comodo as well.

Norton is a resource hog so depending on which Options you have running, you may or may not notice a slowing down of your computer under certain circumstances.

As for being secure with just Norton and a firewall, no one program can maintain an updated database for all the viruses and spyware out there. You might read through GTG's Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials and How-To Guides and Tutorials. Especially Admin's Free Antivirus Software page.

I recommend using more than one program (not at the same time) for scans on a schedule or manually.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 01 July 2008 - 01:53 PM.

Shuby

Shuby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your help.
Yes, Norton has an inbound firewall, and it is active.

When you say a 3RD party firewall, you mean a firewall other than windows' ?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
go with comodo not zonealarm it has its share of problems but its your choice

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Thanks for your help.
Yes, Norton has an inbound firewall, and it is active.

I guess I didn't look at the exact Norton product you have since you just said Norton Antivirus and that's not listed by that name.

I've used ZoneAlerm practically since it's been available and never have had a problem with it. It's use is just a recommendation since it is one I actually use.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 01 July 2008 - 02:42 PM.

Shuby

Shuby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, it's symantec norton anti virus 2008.
Ok then, I'll just disable WS firewall, and it should be fine.
Thx.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello Shuby,

What we are saying is that Symantec Norton Antivirus does not come with a firewall. You will need a 3rd party firewall to be protected.

Cheers,
Mak

Shuby

Shuby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Posted Image

:) :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That image only is telling you that Norton has detected a firewall in place and that it is working. As far as I could tell from the site, Norton Anti-virus 2008 does not have a built in firewall.

Key Features

* For Windows® XP/Vista
* Antivirus
* Antispyware
* Internet Worm Protection
* Rootkit Detection

Norton Anti-virus 2008

Also:

Features

* Improved performance delivers faster scans NEW
* One click access to expert support NEW
* Works quietly in the background. NEW
* Network mapping provides a view of your home network. NEW
* Detects and removes spyware and viruses
* Blocks spyware and worms automatically
* Antivirus protection for email and instant messaging
* Prevents virus-infected emails from spreading
* Rootkit detection finds and removes hidden threats
* Includes protection updates and new product features as available throughout the renewable service period *

At: Norton AntiVirus 2008

Either continue with Windows' firewall or try the free ZoneAlarm. Some like Comodo's.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 02 July 2008 - 03:00 PM.

Shuby

Shuby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
But my WS firewall is disabled!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If Windows' firewall is the only firewall on your PC, then to turn it on:

To turn Windows Firewall on with no exceptions:

You must be logged on to this computer as an administrator to complete this procedure.

Open Windows Firewall. On the General tab, click On. Select the Don't allow exceptions check box, and then click OK.

To open Windows Firewall, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Windows Firewall.
The Don't allow exceptions setting blocks all unsolicited requests to connect to your computer, including requests to programs or services selected on the Exceptions tab. Use this setting when you need maximum protection for your computer, such as when you connect to a public network in a hotel or airport, or when a dangerous virus or worm is spreading over the Internet.

When Don't allow exceptions is selected, the firewall also blocks unsolicited requests to share files or printers, and discovery of network devices.

When Don't allow exceptions is selected, you can still view most Web pages, send and receive e-mail, or use an instant messaging program.

------------------------------------------------------

To determine if your computer has a firewall:

To determine if Windows Firewall is enabled on your computer:

Open Windows Firewall. Click the General tab, and make sure that On (recommended) is selected. This is the setting you should normally use.
Select the Don't allow exceptions check box if you need enhanced security. This setting prevents all inbound connections to your computer, and is useful if you are connecting to a public network, such as that at an airport or hotel.

To determine if your computer has a hardware firewall installed, check the manuals of your home networking devices, such as wireless access points or broadband routers.

To determine if your computer has a software firewall installed, click Start, and then point to All Programs (or point to Programs if you're using the classic Start menu). Look for a firewall program name. Some common brand names for software firewalls include BlackICE, McAfee, Norton, Tiny Personal Firewall, and ZoneAlarm.

To open Windows Firewall, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Windows Firewall.
By default, Windows Firewall is enabled on all Internet and network connections.

Ron