Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

reboots after Applying Computer Settings

• Please log in to reply

Have done a repair install of windows.

Removed the hard drive and used various utilities to scan for malware/adaware and virus scan.

Loaded BIOS defaults

Not sure why the PC keeps rebooting but its got me pulling my hair out.

System Specs:

Inspiron 9400
XP Pro
Part of Domain

SP2 installed

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Are you still able to get into windows?
If so then download Speedfan.
Open Speedfan and please tell me the voltages and temperatures you can see.

Unfortunately I cannot get into windows via safe mode or regular mode. I have run the Dell Diagnostics with clean results... Booted the system with only one stick of RAM in, then booted with only the other stick of RAM in. I have a copy of ERD commander that I just used to remove hotfixes to no avail. I will get my laptop cooler under it.

Could be a voltage issue, but even booting after system has been off for a few hours I get the same results...

Just renamed the catroot2 folder in the windows directory and going to attempt a repair install of windows again.

Renaming catroot2 folder in windows directory and a repair install, did not work.

I just also specified to start windows without restarting on fatal system error and received the following blue screen:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a statusof 0x0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Currently working with this Microsoft KB: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;156669

Edited by jjsmith, 01 July 2008 - 07:39 PM.