Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a eMachines W3503 with XP MCE 2005 and Celeron D 356. The motherboard went out, it had the Grant County one. I understand that these motherboards and others from eMachines are junk. What is the best and cheapest motherboard to replace it with?

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Here is a really cheap mobo that should take your CPU, (assuming that the chip is a socket 775) but it takes DDR2 RAM, and I don't know what your other board takes for RAM. Yes, emachines boards are junk. I replaced four or five over the winter, and I think I have two more in right now with fried boards...

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It has the DDR RAM, but I would change to DDR2 and my socket is 775. What all would I have to do to install the CPU? I have never messed with one.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hmm... Basically it's a matter of being very careful not to damage it while putting it in the socket. The CPU takes NO force to insert into the socket. With Socket 775, the pins are on the socket on the board, and the CPU is smooth on the bottom. Basically you flip the lever and lift the little rack that holds the CPU in place on the old one and reverse the process on the new one. The mobo should come with a manual, tho, and the manual should have directions on installing the CPU.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
ECS is barely better than what E-Machines uses. This Foxconn motherboard is of higher-quality, cheaper, and will use the DDR RAM you already have. :)

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks for the help guys. :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

ECS is barely better than what E-Machines uses.

I did not know that. Thanks!