Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wanting to upgrade but need help...Nooby here!

• Please log in to reply

Daitech

Daitech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
So first things first, hey everyone and hope to get some great advice from you all.

And my computer specs are found here: My computer specs

Well those are my specs and what I'm trying to do is upgrade the hard drive so that my computer doesn't start to slow down, Significantly, once I start using many programs at once. I'm not a gamer but would like to have a VERY proficient computer for intense programs simultaneously; such as Photoshop CS3, On average of 3-4 Windows of Internet, and P2P Dl'ing, and on the meanwhile listening to music in the background.

So far, from all the tips I've gotten from other places and reviews I've read about, this, This "thing"
is a great Core for a low price which do a lot of benefits in performance for my, and others', computers. NOTE: If you have others you can recommend in that area of price would be great.

Edit: I also upgraded From Windows XP to Windows Vista 32-Bit(Basic).

Another question(s):
- Are all kinds of Hard drives compatible with any type of computer?
- What kinds of Hardware/Software are compatible with my specific computer?

Well this is a bit too ask for but not being too knowledgeable in this kind of field hurts. Anyways thanks for your time and consideration for looking into this.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The Q6600 will only work in a socket 775 motherboard. Yours is a socket 478. This limits you in what you can upgrade. Upgrading your hard drive will not give you any additional multitasking performance. You'd get the best results from adding 1GB of DDR-333 (PC 2700) RAM. Something like this would do nicely.

To answer your other questions:

1. No. Your computer is only compatible with IDE hard drives.
2. Too many to list. There are literally thousands of options in both hardware and software that would work with your computer. Could you be more specific in this question?

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

The Q6600 will only work in a socket 775 motherboard. Yours is a socket 478. This limits you in what you can upgrade. Upgrading your hard drive will not give you any additional multitasking performance. You'd get the best results from adding 1GB of DDR-333 (PC 2700) RAM. Something like this would do nicely.

To answer your other questions:

1. No. Your computer is only compatible with IDE hard drives.
2. Too many to list. There are literally thousands of options in both hardware and software that would work with your computer. Could you be more specific in this question?

Hmmm...I've heard about newegg but unsure about their service and security, are they great on it?

So I guess the only way for me to get that Q6600 is to get a new motherboard? Well I wouldn't mind it since mines is VERY out-dated, from my POV. And if I were to upgrade my motherboard are there any limitations to getting them or can I go into a spree?

And for the product you've shown me, what exactly is it?

Again sorry for the questions but I'm very unknown of this field.

- Thanks

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Newegg is one of the best and largest e-tailers in the world. You can read more about them here.

Upgrading your motherboard would more than likely also require you to upgrade your RAM, and possibly your PSU. And if Windows Vista you installed was an OEM version, you'd need to get a new license for it as well. You'd basically be getting a whole new PC. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure if it's what you had in mind.

As for the product I recommended, it is a stick of RAM, or Random Access Memory. When you open a program on your computer, it is transfered into the RAM for the duration it is open. So, logically, the more RAM you have, the more programs you can have open at one time. If you have too many programs open for the RAM to handle, the computer will take a portion of your hard drive and use it as "virtual memory". That is, it will treat it as if it were RAM. However, a hard drive is much, much slower than RAM, so that's why everything starts to slow down when you have too many programs open.

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Newegg is one of the best and largest e-tailers in the world. You can read more about them here.

Upgrading your motherboard would more than likely also require you to upgrade your RAM, and possibly your PSU. And if Windows Vista you installed was an OEM version, you'd need to get a new license for it as well. You'd basically be getting a whole new PC. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure if it's what you had in mind.

As for the product I recommended, it is a stick of RAM, or Random Access Memory. When you open a program on your computer, it is transfered into the RAM for the duration it is open. So, logically, the more RAM you have, the more programs you can have open at one time. If you have too many programs open for the RAM to handle, the computer will take a portion of your hard drive and use it as "virtual memory". That is, it will treat it as if it were RAM. However, a hard drive is much, much slower than RAM, so that's why everything starts to slow down when you have too many programs open.

Well I wouldn't really want to go as far as to get a whole new computer, as to why I want to upgrade, but I'll give Newgg.com a try. I don't mind in upgrading Windows Vista to a 64-Bit but that's later. For now, I guess a new license might be happening but hopefully not.

Questions:

- What exactly is a PSU? Edit: Well I found out what PSU means and I don't mind upgrading that.
- For the Vista, If OEM means that I bought it at a store then installed it then yes but if it's factory installed then no.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upgrading Question:
So since I'm now decided to upgrade than to buy a new computer....

- Do you have any recommendations for a Cheap but Proficient & efficient Motherboard?
- Once a Motherboard is found -----> Does any RAM product able to be used on any Motherboard?
- Any Advice on a great PSU for cheap?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little bit to ask for, but I'll also be looking into some items as well.

- Thanks

Edited by Daitech, 02 July 2008 - 01:21 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
A PSU is a Power Supply Unit. It provides power to your components. I mentioned it because if you go upgrading lots of components, you may need a more powerful PSU to power them.

An OEM copy of Vista would have come in just a little paper sleeve. This is opposed to the Retail version, which would have come in a case like this: Posted Image

I brought it up because an OEM version of Vista is bound to the motherboard you installed it on. So, if you got a new motherboard, you would need to get a new OEM license.

Daitech

Daitech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright great. Looks like I got a lot of searching before I get my final products down.

I'll post back here again once I get my items checked out for assurance then most likely I'll be having more questions.

- Thank you again.