Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Having Problems On A Fresh Reformat

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Victim14

Victim14

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a few problem after a brand new reformat. I just reformatted earlier today and I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP. I couldn't find my copy of Windows XP that is specifically for my Sony PC, so I downloaded a copy and used the serial on the back of my PC. After A reformatted and got everything worked out and all my files transferred over, I started noticing really thin horizontal lines going through my monitor. There are at least 500 lines evenly spaced. I can still see everything just fine on the screen, but it is extremely annoying. Also, when I drag windows they don't move smoothly, they just kind of jump across the screen. I am assuming these problems have something to do with not using the CD that came the the PC, but I don't know. Does anyone have a fix for these problems?

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
That *should* not have anything to do with using the wrong disc. I know that especially with Dell and HP, if you use their product keys on a standard disc (or visa versa) they won't take the key that you give them... I don't know if Sony does that, but if it took the key I would guess that's not the issue... As to what could the be issue... have you tried plugging another monitor in yet? If it gives the same thing, that would seem to indicate a problem with the computer, maybe a video card. If that fixes it, however, I would say you need a new monitor.

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Is your text displayed larger than usual when you get the lines across your screen? It sounds to me it could be a problem with your monitor like Victim14 says or it's just because you don't have the proper video drivers installed for your card to display properly. Btw, are you using an LCD or a CRT? Is your monitor plugged into an onboard video port or a graphics card?

Victim14

Victim14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is your text displayed larger than usual when you get the lines across your screen? It sounds to me it could be a problem with your monitor like Victim14 says or it's just because you don't have the proper video drivers installed for your card to display properly. Btw, are you using an LCD or a CRT? Is your monitor plugged into an onboard video port or a graphics card?

No, my text is not displayed larger than usual and I am no sure which type, I just know it is a piece of garbage and it;s like 5-6 years old. This is a really old video card and I am not sure what type it is exactly. It is the card that came with the PC when I bought it about 5-6 years ago. Here is a screenshot of my device manager. I think the highlighted one is the video card, but I have no idea.

Posted Image

I am willing to open the computer and look, but I would rather not because I would have to move around a bunch of stuff and I don't want to mess my computer up any more than it already it. Also, I know it isn't the monitor because I have Ubuntu on my other Hard Drive and it looks fine when I boot it up.

Edit: I also found the video and sound drivers and installed them and restarted and I am having all the same problems.

Edited by Victim14, 02 July 2008 - 03:24 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Victim14...

You need to install your motherboard chipset drivers.

Where did you download the operating system?

wannabe1

Victim14

Victim14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello Victim14...

You need to install your motherboard chipset drivers.

Where did you download the operating system?

wannabe1

I got it from a torrent.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Since this is not a legit version of Windows here at GTG we can not help you. It is in violation of our TOS.

4. Questions, Answers, and other Content
You may post content on this site, so long as the content is not:
Illegal
Obscene
Threatening
Defamatory
Hateful
Invasive of privacy
Infringing of intellectual property rights (such as copyright and trademark rights)
Racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable
Otherwise harmful or injurious to third parties

Cheers,
Mak