Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

What virus scan should I use?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I currently have McAfee and also run AdAware, AVG, and SuperAntispy (or something like that; sorry I'm at work right now and not on my home computer). McAfee wants to know if I want to renew. Is it neccesary to renew, or am I okay with just the other stuff? I imagine I don't need all these programs and it may even be detrimental to have all of them. Thanks for any help!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
No, it's not necessary to renew. there are plenty of free programs recommended in the malware Section to use for scanning for viruses and spyware.

Just a few free ones. Other posters will have their opinions:

LavaSoft's AdAware 2008:

Spybot Search & Destroy:

Anti-Virus Programs -

RogueRemover Free 1.24 :

Windows® Defender:

Use these Guides and Tutorials to clean pretty much 70% or more of the malware:

If you still have problems with malware, then follow the instructions on this section of the forum:

These people are very, very good and very busy so please be patient. If you do not get any help within 3 days, please post here:

The Waiting Room - http://tinyurl.com/3cuxxu

Edited by Major Payne, 02 July 2008 - 02:40 PM.

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Just to add - if you don't renew McAfee you won't get updates - in other words it will be useless and you will need a replacement.

A good free one is AntiVir - Major Payne has a link to it.

You should also only run ONE antivirus program at a given time, more can cause slowdowns and lower your overall protection due to conflictions between the multiple av programs.

hope it helps,