Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble reloading windows

• Please log in to reply

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i had a bad trojon worm on my laptop.i am trying to reload windows booting from cd rom it loads the files then it stops and says it stopped to keep any damage to my computer.i think i might have lost some files getting rid of the trojon not sure if this would cause this or not.pls help for i have tried this many times and it aleays stops in the same place thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Is the install cd you are using the one that came with your laptop or did it come with a different computer?

Murray

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
it is not the same disk but i have reloaded windows on here before with no problem thx

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

it is not the same disk but i have reloaded windows on here before with no problem thx

Did the laptop come with XP?

What are you using for a key code and activation?

Is the cd you are using one you downloaded from the net?

Murray

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
it is a good windows xp pro disk.no it is not a downloaded disk i went back in and got all the mess it is giving me not sure this will help you but here is what it says word for word

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
if this is the first time you seen this stop error screen restart your computer.if this screen appears again
follow these steps/qt i tried this 4 or 5 times to be sure and same screen apeared/
chck to be sure you have adequate disk space,if a driver identified in this stop message disable the driver or check with manufaturer for driver updates/qt there was no driver id in the message/
try changingvideo adaptor
check with your hardware vendor for bios updates,disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing.
if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components.restart your computer press f8 to select advanced
setup options and then select safe mode

technical information
***stop:0x0000007e (0xc0000005,0xf748e0bf,oxf78da208,dxf78d9f08
pci sxs adress f748eobf base at f7487000,date stamp 3b7d855c

not sure if this will be any help but i sure hope you can help me thx

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yes it come with windows xp sorry

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Going to try and help for sure but you never answered a couple inquiries I made.

What are you using for a key code (install code) ?

Did the laptop come with XP pre-installed (make and model)?

Is the cd an OEM (came with a different computer)?

Murray

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
it is a university disk windows xp pro i am useing the keys that come with the disk i have a dell precision m 90
thx

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
guess you done know this but im not even getting to were you put the keys in before it stops thx

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
also it has windows xp home on it right now thx not sure im doing this right its my first time ever doing this

Advertisements

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
murry are you still here?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Have you used this cd on that particular system before?

Almost sounds like the cd may be damaged and is not loading the pci files.

Murray

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
this is the first time i have tried to use it on this computer but i have used it on others and it worked fine used it the other day and it worked fine on another computer.im hoping that that virus i had is not the problem what is your thoughts on that could that have happened if so can it be fixed?

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i bought this puter in nov 2006 its not very old my daughter was downloading some music from some were and got a bad virus i never could get rid of it.i ordered this puter with xp pro because some of the programs i needed would not run on vista.to make a long story short a friend of mine had a good copy of windows xp home.
so i formatted and put home xp on it.everthing went smooth no problems other then on start up it ask me if
i wanted to boot home or pro you just had to click home dont know why it ask that ever time i loaded the puter but it was not really a big deal was kinda like there was 2 windows but if you clicked on pro it said something about the wrong path or something just thought i tell you that hoping maybe that will help you thx

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
murry you still here?