Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

registry permissions gone

• Please log in to reply

CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been working on a friend's computer for the past couple of days and I think I have been able to eliminate all but one of the bugs that had infected the system (983 infections on first scan). The problem I have been running into is that even as an administrator something has locked all the permissions in the registry so that when I try to install any kind of anti-virus it balks when the intallation tries to add keys to the registry. Most of what I've done so far has been through a second computer with the infected HD hooked up externally. I'm no computer wiz but I'm not a total noob either and when they approached me saying that the techs wanted a couple hundred just to look at it I told them I would do what I could. I have a Hiajck log available but I can't get past step two in the list of things necessary to post a log due to the locked registry, can I post it any way? The computer is running XP Home SP1, they discovered their problems when trying to upgrade to SP2, something is restricting ActivX as well. I'd really appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Thanks

Advertisements

CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Here is a copy of the Hiack log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:25:37 PM, on 7/2/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0AE716A6-1EDA-411D-6031-97E7FA0907DD} - (no file)
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe

--
End of file - 1276 bytes