Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble connecting Bluetooth Mouse

• Please log in to reply

fowlermj

fowlermj

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Just this morning I received the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse I ordered online and tried to connect it to my Gateway laptop. I'm relatively new to Bluetooth, so I'll give as much information as I think makes sense :)

My laptop is less than one year old
I have a BT logo on my F6 key
This folder exists on my computer: C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\My Bluetooth Places
The mouse is Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000

I installed the batteries in the mouse, turned it on and the status light automatically started blinking red/gree/red/green, indicating (per the instructions) that it was ready to connect. I then hit Fn+F6 to enable BT. It tells me "Bluetooth device not found. Please verify that your Bluetooth device is properly connected and turned on." I get the same error when I try to run the Bluetooth Wizard, located in the folder listed above.

I know the batteries are installed - the indicator lights up. I know that it is ready to connect - the light is blinking between colors. At no point today have I been able to get the Wizard to recognize anything. I did, though, get this error once (which makes me a little nervous): "Bluetooth license check failed. Please make sure that the Bluetooth device is plugged in/turned on, the device you are using is licensed for this software, and that your license has not expired."

Any ideas of what I could be doing wrong? Is it possible that I don't actually have the capability of using a BT mouse even though I have all this BT paraphanalia on my computer?

Thanks!

-M

Edited by fowlermj, 02 July 2008 - 10:12 AM.

Advertisements

fowlermj

fowlermj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
UPDATE:

Problem solved, lock/delete/burn this post if you would like.

Apparently I know just enough about computers to be dangerous... turns out that even though this model almost always comes with a BT wireless card, my company has cheaped out and opted to not have one installed. Which is a blast since there is, of course, BT software preinstalled and a BT logo slapped on one of my keys (F6). Device manager showed some variety of driver/item with a BT logo and name, but apparently that is meaningless.

So, once again, I've managed to dig just deep enough to believe I know what's going on...

USB BT nubbin on order.

/selfslap

-M