Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Shuts Off in the middle of process!

• Please log in to reply

GarrettZ

GarrettZ

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've just built a computer and when I booted it for the first time to begin to configure it and load the Windows Setup CD, it would shut off in the middle of the process. I'd say it stays on for about 30-45 seconds and then shuts off. When it begins to read the XP CD-ROM it gets to: "Setup is reading system configuration" and shuts off before it can finish. I must've tried booting

Anyone know why?

Edited by GarrettZ, 28 April 2005 - 06:25 PM.

Advertisements

GarrettZ

GarrettZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry, I forgot to list my gear:
ASUS ATX MoBo
P4 3.2ghz Socket 487
430Watt PSU
ATI RAEDEON GFX
1 GIG DDR-SDRAM
DVD-R/CD-R Drive
200GB SATA Hard Drive

So I booted up again and got the blue screen right before windows starts installing itself and the computer shut off...So that's the furthest I've gotten so far. The green light on the Mother Board stays on regardless. Could the Mother Board be fried some how? Spacers are in and everything, there's no contact between the board and the case.

Any help?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,
Try running memtest 86 you don't need a operating system installed to run this, follow the instructions and make a bootable floppy.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Another thing, go into bios and check your cpu temp and post it back

GarrettZ

GarrettZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I can't get into the BIOS long enough to search for the cpu temp.

I'll run memtest 86 in a few mins.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If you can't stay in bios without the computer rebooting I doubt you will be able to run memtest.

What is the name brand of your psu and the amps of the 12v 3.3v and 5v rail this info is usually listed on a decal on the psu.

If you can stay in bios long enough list these voltages from there.
Make sure the 4 pin 12v connector from the psu to the mobo is seated correctly

Do you have or can you barrow a volt meter?

Rick

GarrettZ

GarrettZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I do have a volt meter.

My PSU: Thermaltake X
Wattage: 480watt (my bad I stated 430watts before)

Max. Load for +5V: 40A
Min. Load for +5V: 1.5A

Max. Load for -5V: 0.3A
Min. Load for -5V: 0A

Max. Load for +12V: 18A
Min. Load for +12V: 0.2A

Max. Load for -12V: 0.8A
Min. Load for -12V: 0A

Max. Load for +3.3V: 30A
Min. Load for +3.3V: 0.3A

Max. Load for +5VSB: 2A
Min. Load for +5VSB: 0A

The 4 pin is sitting correctly. I just turned it on for the first time since last night and it got all the way up to where windows was actually ready to install and then it shut off. So, it seems like the longer it's off, the longer it will stay on...which isn't that long at all.

GarrettZ

GarrettZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Also, I forgot to add: I took a power supply from another computer and it did the same thing. So could the Mother Board be fried?

Here is the website for my PSU: http://www.thermalta...wer/W001011.htm

I know that my motherboard (ASUS P4P800SE) has hardware control for the overheating of the CPU. Could there be a malfunction in this or is the CPU overheating rapidly for some reason?

Edited by GarrettZ, 29 April 2005 - 06:47 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your psu is adequate for your system, I always check for that first, we may have to check that with the volt meter but first, it does seem like a overheat issue since the longer it is off the longer it will stay on

Are you using the heat sink (hs) that came with the cpu? If so the themal pad that comes with stock hs has a plastic cover to protect it during shipping.

Did you remove it?

If you remove the hs to check you must clean both the cpu and hs with rubbing alcohol and apply thermel past, artic silver 5 is best but follow the instructions on thier website to apply

I think you should do this anyway to make sure the hs is mounted correctly.

It is to early to tell if its the mobo, I doubt it at this point till you try the above and if that don't work we can go back to checking the psu.

Rick

GarrettZ

GarrettZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Doby, my friend, you're gonna kill me. After all the computers I've built, I should've known about dumb things like this. It's always something non-technical and never though of...So I removed the heatsink to see if the heatsink paste made contact with the CPU...it didn't! It wasn't even smeared on the CPU. So, I re-mounted it and windows is all installed and the computer is running like a dream!

Again, thank you!

Edited by GarrettZ, 29 April 2005 - 08:41 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome,

Sometimes its the little things we overlook, guilty here to just not lately

Rick

fernsy

fernsy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

i think i am having the same problem i hav a master cooler on top of a metal grill should this be touching the top of the cpu because i hav just changed the spring thinking it was 2 tight the cpu has 4 cushionns on it amd duron 1300 i hav only just built it and it starts up 4 about 5-6 secs then switches itself off

hope someone can help