Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Reboots When Idle (Blue Screen with Error Message)

• Please log in to reply

GeraldR

GeraldR

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After picking up a virus and doing numerous deep scans and removing a few viruses my computer seemed to be OK. Unfortunately if it is left idle for approx. 10 minutes it will go into a reboot of XP which can be interrupted by clicking or hitting ESC and then it returns to normal use and does not need to reboot(weird).

Left alone with the reboot it will end up with a BLUE SCREEN and an error message which could include “IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error”.

After researching I disabled the auto restart and found numerous errors in the Event Viewer (see below):

Posted Image

Right now I am not able to leave my computer unattended if it is working on any tasks(downloads, virus scans, etc) because it will go into a reboot mode.

Thank you in advance for your support and assistance.

Gerald

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Welcome to GTG!

the IRQL BSOD is most commonly related to Driver conflicts. Have you installed any new drivers recently? Have you updated your components? I can suggest that you get Driver Cleaner Pro and run it to remove any old drivers that you may have on your system.

http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=745

Cheers,
Mak

GeraldR

GeraldR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Mak,

I don't believe I installed any new drivers. When I ran anti-virus software I was shocked to see I found a keylogger... but everything was removed.

Concerning Driver Cleaner Pro can I run the program for every driver or do I need to know which drivers I should run it for?

Thank You,

Gerald

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello Gerald,

Sorry for the late response. Was out most of the day.

A bit of advice on the keylogger. Change all your passwords to all your sites. Never know what kind of info that keylogger gained or sent out. Just a precaution it would be advised to be safe rather than sorry.

As for Driver Cleaner Pro if you have not updated any drivers then it would not be necessary to run it. I would only run it on drivers that you know you have updated as running it on every driver will remove all yoru drivers for your system and cause even more trouble for you.

Cheers,
Mak