Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply and cooling

• Please log in to reply

crockerd

crockerd

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi, i was just wondering about a few things,

i have a 450w, psu at the moment, and i have just bough a whole new build, but not a new psu, i have:

Corsair 4GB (2x2gb) RAM

Intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.4Ghz

XFX geeforce 8600GTS PCI-E Graphics card

maxtor 500GB SATA hard drive

ASUS P5KC series ip35 motherboard

just wondering if it would power all that, also, i have the stock heatsink with the CPU, and, one 120mm fan on the side, and 2 80mm fans at the back, would this be sufficient enough cooling?

bearing in mind i probably wont be using my setup to extreme levels.

Edited by crockerd, 02 July 2008 - 08:41 PM.

Advertisements

crockerd

crockerd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
excuse my double post, i just found this in another post,

Assuming you don't have a heavily overclocked quad core CPU, more then 1 hard drive and more then one optical drive I suggest the following.
http://www.novatech.....html?CSR-VX450

so i should be ok right?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Its not all about the wattage, you have to consider the amperage in the 12V+ rail and also the build. If it was made by a reputable manufacturer, in this case, that quote you posted was posted by james (If I remember correctly) and he suggested a Corsair power supply. Corsair uses quality OEM power supplies from Seasonic and CWT. Both makes very good power supplies.

So to answer your question if it will be okay to use your 450W power supply and assuming you only have one hard drive and optical drive, I would say maybe, can you please specify the manufacturer name of the power supply you currently have and how much amperage is in the 12V+ rail.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 03 July 2008 - 01:11 PM.