Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC is not working. Please Help...

• Please log in to reply

helpmeout1

helpmeout1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a P4 computer. 1 GB ram. 40 GB hdd. 350 W PSU.

I have this PC from last 4 years, but I have changed the Motherboard just last year. All was working fine until 2 days back, when suddenly after burning a CD in the CD Drive, the PC shut itself down (not the normal shut down. All down within 1 second). That was wierd. I restarted the PC, and within 5 seconds, all was down again (as if the main power was switched off!). I removed the main compartment, started the pc again, noticed the CPU Fan was running, hard drive was making some sound, and just like that, all shut down again. Sometimes in 5 seconds, sometimes if I am lucky, in 15 minutes. I first removed the HDD, still the same problem. So, HDD eliminated.

I have 2 RAM, so swapped them 1 by 1, still the same problem. So, RAM eliminated. All that is left is the Mobo, the PSU and the UPS. I noticed that there was a lot of dust on the CPU heatsink. So I vacummed it out. Also I noticed that when I get the chance to have 20 minutes, do not know how the xp realises that it would soon shut down, and shows that it is going to Hibernate (default option) but before it does Hibernate, the whole PC powers off. I have a P3 machine in the garage which I tried with the same UPS, and it works fine. So, the UPS is ruled out. The older P3 PSU do not have the small 4 pin connector as the newer P4 PSU's have. Can I swap the PSU's to check if it is the main cause??

Any help would be appreciated. I do not want to buy a new Mobo and then come to know that afterall it was the PSU or vice versa.

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello helpmeout1,

Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Try this : Rightclick My computer >> Properties >> Advanced >> Startup and recovery >> uncheck "automatically reboot"

Regards,

Edited by mirjel, 03 July 2008 - 05:04 PM.