Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unknown Disk on the Partition selection Screen When I try to Reformat

• Please log in to reply

slvancise

slvancise

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I am trying to reformat my computer and I have ran into a problem. i have tried to reformat using both Windows XP Home and Pro. When I pop in the CD and Boot from it all goes well until I reach the Partition selection screen. Instead of the list of drives and partitions I see this message in the box. It is repeated four times.

Unknown Disk

<There is no Disk in this drive.>

I am confused by this and i am not sure what I should do. i was thinking this could be caused by the fact that the necessary drivers are not present when I try to reformat, but if this was the case wouldn't I get the message before I even got to the Partition Selection screen? That has happened before and simple slims stream of the appropriate drivers fixes it just fine. So would a slipstream of the drivers fix this problem as well? I am hoping someone knows how i can fix this problem and have a successful reformat. This problem is on an HP Pavilion a1530n running Windows XP Media Center Edition. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you have a card reader in your computer they will be flagged up as Unknown Disks. This is normal.
If you see this message for the hard drive, something isn't right, you should either see a list of partitions or a big five/six number next to the text "unallocated space". Failure to see this may mean the hard drive is dead.
Reboot the computer and go into the BIOS. Do you see your hard drive in there?

slvancise

slvancise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, but I was able to fixed it. Here is what I did:

I first downloaded kill disk to wipe my HD clean. Burned the ISO and booted from it. I then wiped my HD(took a while). After the Hard drive was clean I rebooted with the XP CD with a slipstreamed sata driver and it worked great. Oh, I forgot to mention that I tried to reboot with the slipstreamed CD before the wipe and it still didn't work. So I am thinking it was a nasty error on the HD, I really think this because when I tried the do a disk check my computer crashed(YIKES!) So yeah all is good now. :]