Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Good Enough For Gaming?

• Please log in to reply

RichieB16

RichieB16

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, I'm trying to put together a cheapish computer that will be a decent gaming computer for a little while. I'm not looking for something that will play new and upcoming high end games at full sliders (example: Far Cry 2), but will be able to play newer games (MOH: Airborne, Call of Duty 4, ect...) decently.

I'm entering dental school soon, so I am on a budget...but I want to do something. To put it into perspective, I currently have the following system:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
ATi Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB
1GB PC2700 RAM
WD 250GB 7200rpm IDE Hard Drive
Unknown Power Supply (probably about 300W, I bought a case and power supply combo before I knew better).
Windows XP

Anyway, its a ancient system and desperately needs to be replaced.

So, here's what I was thinking to replace it with:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GH
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
RAM: Kingston HyperX NVIDIA SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Power Supply: SILVERSTONE SST-ST60F 600W ATX 12V 2.01 & EPS 12V Power Supply 115 - 240V
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM
Speakers: Logitech X-530 70 watts RMS 5.1 Black Speaker System

I plan on using my current case to save some money. I may also decide to keep my current Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker setup that came from my old Dell P3 computer I bought back in 2001 (I really don't want to, but money). Would these new speakers be a huge upgrade or is it that big of a deal for gaming. Also, when ever I'm at my computer I play music on it (I am right now)...so I'm not sure if I should dump the new speakers. Finally, is a SATA hard drive that big of a deal? I have my IDE 250GB hard drive (WD) and if it isn't a necessary upgrade...keeping that would also be a big money saver.

So, I could use opinions about not only the parts but also if I would be better off keeping some of those listed above.

Also, I will be using Windows XP with this system.

Advertisements

Helpster

Helpster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
You would be able to Max out Call Of Duty 4 with that set-up. It will be able to play future games pretty well also, looks good to me.

RichieB16

RichieB16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, I will probably be ordering this setup unless someone can give me a reason why I should change something. I feel that it would be pretty good, but I would like some other ideas...I don't want to make a $900 mistake...lol.

I will be picking up the 500GB hard drive rather than using my current one. I will also probably be changing the case as well. That way I can leave my current AMD computer together and leave it back home for when I'm in town.

So, here is the rest of the parts I think I'll use:
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
2 DVD-RW Drives, Both: Samsung DVD-RW
Windows XP
OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound, I have no idea where my old Artic Silver is and I heard this stuff is better.

Also, I have no idea what happened to my anti-static bracelet...so This

Again, does this seem OK.