Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Quick Home Networking Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Helpster

Helpster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, I will start by telling you my current situation. I have a laptop which I do not have Administrative privileges for which is connected by Ethernet cable to my D-Link 604 wired router which is hooked up to my desktop.

I am wondering if I partitioned an amount of my Desktop Hard Drive I could access files or programs I put on that part of the drive from my laptop.

What kind of server would I have to set up? Would this work over a VPN? Would I be able to actually run the programs on the partitioned drive from my laptop or just access the raw file?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello Helpster,

I have a laptop which I do not have Administrative privileges for

A lot of networking commands or methods we use require administrative privileges.
Is this a laptop from your work? Why don't you have administrative privileges?

I am wondering if I partitioned an amount of my Desktop Hard Drive I could access files or programs I put on that part of the drive from my laptop.

Depends what programs you're planning on running...
Programs that need installation will probably not work correctly.

What kind of server would I have to set up? Would this work over a VPN? Would I be able to actually run the programs on the partitioned drive from my laptop or just access the raw file?

If you're thinking only about sharing documents then a simple share on your desktop would be enough.

Regards,
Olrik

Helpster

Helpster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello Helpster,

I have a laptop which I do not have Administrative privileges for

A lot of networking commands or methods we use require administrative privileges.
Is this a laptop from your work? Why don't you have administrative privileges?
It is a laptop provided by my school.

If you're thinking only about sharing documents then a simple share on your desktop would be enough.

Regards,
Olrik

I have used TeamViewer for a long time now but I do not need to have the full screen share, just access to the files. I have now created a new folder, enabled sharing and installed a number of portable programs (Firefox, CCleaner, VLC etc.). It was all working fine until today I experienced a problem in Firefox.

A Tooltip pop-up telling me that Windows has failed to write (For example) cookie.xx to Z:\Mozilla etc. How would I go about fixing this?

Posted Image

I have enabled the option to allow the files to be changed.

Edited by Helpster, 03 July 2008 - 04:55 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
there isn't much you can do with that. especially if your running from a pen drive or something akin to that. I'm sorry that we can not help further, but admin privs are required.