Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP upgrade install

• Please log in to reply

Reno_Of_The_Turks

Reno_Of_The_Turks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok well i had an upgrade disk and an old win 98 comp.
I began the process of the upgrade and my monitor died 2 weeks later i resumed and i ran into a snag,
It says windows cant access the cd.
Recently before i could hardly copy any files.
Recently i also had to push the little button on the cd drive to have it to open it usually does get stuck
so how do i fix this other cds have worked before i pushed the button so yeah.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
So you don't think a 8 to 10 year old computer should have any problems. That computer is really too old to even run Windows XP. The last Win 98 computer i built ran PC133 memory and the Motherboard would not see a gig of memory. While XP will run on the computer it would be so slow i would have smashed the computer to little bits by now.

Your CDrom drive is dying of old age. Please replace the computer with something more suitable for XP. I just sold a Intel pentium 4 2 year old computer for $150 with a monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse. So why bother with a old computer, there are better ones that you can use the XP cd to install XP on.

CDrom drives are so cheap that you can buy a new one for $15. This is the easist way to fix your problem.

SRX660

Reno_Of_The_Turks

Reno_Of_The_Turks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
See thats the problem the previous computer it was installed on was a windows 95 computer.
Pentium 2 this is a pentium 3 hard drive is more than double the 95 one.
So find your paragraph on windows 98 very very wrong.
Trust me i work with old comps for a reason im building my way.
The cd drive drive isnt the issue either.
I tested discs on both computers and they both seem to stop.
The set up reads so yeah again i dont think thats the problem.