Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Goback Corrupts Partition Table

• Please log in to reply

eephraim

eephraim

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Promise FastTrack S150 TX4 SATA controller on my hard drive, and it worked well until I installed Symantec SystemWorks 2005. When I activated the Norton GoBack module of SystemWorks and rebooted as instructed, Windows failed. My investigations led to the conclution that GoBack does something to the partition table so Windows does not recognize the drive anymore. I used Partition Doctor utility to rebuild the partition table, and Windows works fine. However, when you restart Windows, Norton GoBack will ask to be reactivated. If you do so, it will corrupt the partition table all over again. Is this a case of Symantec GoBack and Promise controller incompatibility? Any suggestion is welcome

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Don't install goback....with windows xp or 2000....ever

Yes, you are right. It alters the partition table (corrupt isn't really fair).

But it can create some serious pain if you have a problem and need to restore or repair windows. Windows restore and its various recovery methods (last known good config, recovery console, safemode, etc) do everything you need except file recovery, which is pretty nifty, but the same can be achieved with ghost or some other disk imager.

Goback is not worth the headaches in xp...it's fine for me, 98, just not 2000/xp