Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 not loading or slow to load

• Please log in to reply

jksdelver

jksdelver

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Over the past weeks I have noticed my IE7 not loading or very slow to load. I use as default FF3 but when I try to go onto my Hotmail in box it doesn't load. I sometimes have to click on IE icon and try that but mostly I have to try three or four times. MS must be fed up with me sending an error reports. I am able to get into my Hotmail in box via the add on for FF but shouldn't have to do that

Any ideas anyone?

Edited by jksdelver, 03 July 2008 - 01:31 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
uninstall IE7...it will roll back to IE6

Edited by happyrck, 04 July 2008 - 05:17 PM.

jksdelver

jksdelver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks for your reply It seems as if when you have SP3 then it wont let you un install IE7 in add and remove programmes the facility isn't there to remove it. Can I delete SP3?

Edited by jksdelver, 05 July 2008 - 12:09 AM.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hello jksdelver !

If you are currently running IE7 on XPSP2, Windows Update will offer you XPSP3 as a high priority update. If you choose to install XPSP3, Internet Explorer 7 will remain on your system after the install is complete. Your preferences will be retained. However, you will no longer be able to uninstall IE7. If you go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs, the Remove option will be grayed out.

If you must uninstall IE7 after you have upgraded to XPSP3, then you have to first uninstall XPSP3, and then uninstall IE7. After this series of uninstalls, you will be reverted back to a XPSP2, and a stable version of IE6, so feel free to upgrade to XPSP3 again.

If you install IE7 after you install XPSP3, then you will be able to uninstall IE7 at any point and be reverted to the newer IE6 version that ships in XPSP3. The restriction on uninstalling only applies to when you install a Windows Service Pack release on top of a standalone IE release.

Keeping this in mind, you might want to uninstall IE7, upgrade to XPSP3 and then install IE7 again so you can uninstall IE7 in the future if need be.

Source : Jane Maliouta (http://blogs.msdn.co...-and-xpsp3.aspx)

Regards,

jksdelver

jksdelver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thank you very much I will give it a try

jksdelver

jksdelver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Seems to be working OK now thanks for all your advice

jksdelver

jksdelver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
The problems has returned. I did the uninstall for SP3 and the like and it was working somewhat better. Unfortunately its started again. I have since deleted IE7 and just running 6 at the moment. If I start windows it will load OK but if I close it there is nothing however how many times I try. When I close down the comp it tells me to end programme SysFader and iexplore.exe. I click to end both but they come back. I presume the iexplore.exe is the number of times I have tried

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try firefox...

jksdelver

jksdelver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
See my original post

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you may want to run System File Checker... to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.
but first make sure that you can view protected files...
click on...My Computer....Tools...Folder Options....View...
Uncheck...Hide protected operating system files...

Click Start...type in...Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow
note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take....

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens put the xp cd in the cd drive...

Then rerun the scan...
if you do not have the CD scroll down to HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS for instructions...

Once the scan is complete...Check for Windows Updates... After using the File Protection Service you will need to reapply some updates.....
reboot and let me know how its running
if everythings OK.. rehide the protected files...

click on...My Computer....Tools...Folder Options....View...
check...Hide protected operating system files...

==================
HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS
Windows Protection Files are usually stored in:C:WINDOWS/System32/Dllcache
C: in most cases is the root drive...yours may be different...

The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you...

click on... My Computer ... Tools .. Folder Options ... View ...
uncheck.... Hide protected operating system files....

There is normally no need for the original XP CD to be inserted as your computer has a copy it can get hold of in this cache.

if the Dllcache folder or part of it has become corrupted then you will be prompted for the XP CD ... so your computer can get a clean copy...

not ALL installations of Windows XP have ALL the system files cached into this folder... You may only have around 25-50MB of files in this folder under Windows XP depending on the settings in the registry.
note ...mine has 433MB in it

HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS
borrow a friend or coworkers retail copy of xp...it has to be the same version that you have installed... either home or pro ..or have them put a copy of the I386 folder on a cd for you ...then proceed to Step 1

As well as having a cache of all the system files on your PC, you should have the I386 folder from the XP CD installed on your hard drive. After doing this, it is quite simple to modify the registry to tell it the source path for these files.

This prevents 99% of requests for the the XP CD with Windows File Protection and the I386 folder also contains many other files that are sometimes needed by the operating system and this stops those requests for the XP CD...

HOW TO PUT I386 ON YOUR ROOT DRIVE:

Step 1

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called: I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C: so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:I386

Step 2

Your computer needs to know that you now have the necessary files on your PC. This is done by editing the registry. Here's how...type in regedit in the Run box on the start menu...

By navigating to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft /Windows/ CurrentVersion/ Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C: Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change to the drive letter of your root drive, probably C:

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again

Advertisements

jksdelver

jksdelver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks H

I have tried that it didn't say there was any updates after. When I tried to open IE it took a few goes. I closed everything down and it worked a few times then nothing. When I do close down I get "end prog SysFader (about 6 times last time) and iexplore.exe Good job I have FF

I tried it later on and it opened OK. Do you think it not being deleted from my system when I close the IE page down? I have just tried it again and nothing. The hour glass starts then goes off.

Edited by jksdelver, 09 July 2008 - 02:46 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this should take care of the SysFader issue..

right click on My Computer and click Properties ...Advanced tab
Under 'Performance' click on 'Settings'
Under the 'Visual Effects' tab uncheck the first four check boxes
These are "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing"
"Fade or slide menus into view"
"Fade of slide ToolTips into view"
"Fade out menu items after clicking"

where are we on the other issues...

jksdelver

jksdelver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks for that H I have done that and will see what happens when I next close down. Re IE this morning it seems to be working OK so keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for you help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome.... :)

if it keeps working OK for a day or so...clear all the old restore points and create a new one..

jksdelver

jksdelver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks its seems to be working 99% of the time now but will keep checking it. It should be OK at that, it is only when I click on such as the link to your reply on my notification that opens in IE. Can that be changed to open in FF. I have FF as default. As a matter of interest how do you clear the restore points?