Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Doing My Head in

• Please log in to reply

tanda

tanda

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi, I used to have an old PC, running Windows ME. I was looking at Doom 3 and Bioshock, but they are both not compatable with Windows ME, so I bought myself a new PC. Vista Home Premium, 2GB RAM, 380GB Hard Drive, Dual Core, etc,etc. I then bought Doom 3, installed it, and started playing it. after a few months, the hard drive threw a wobblie, and I had to get it replaced, under the garentee. I then re-installed Doom 3, but it wouldn't run, it said there was an unknown problem and the program was going to close, or words to that affect. I then bought Bioshock, installed it, started playing it. A few months later, I get to the same part, and the game freezes, its exactly the same place every time. I have been in touch with the online support for both games, and have updated drivers, DirectX, ran in compatability mode for XP, updated Bioshock to 1.1, etc,etc. I have now ran out of ideas, and both supports don't have an answer. How can new games, on a new computer with everything up to date, not run these games, I bought the computer, with playing new up to date games in mind, but it is no better than my Windows ME. The computer has a 3.5 Game rating, Boishock is rated at 1 minimum, 2 recomended. I have ran the compatability thing on this site, and both games more than pass, at the top end of recomended. Can anyone recomend anything, or is it just Vista, not playing these games. By the way, every time I upgrade the NNIDIA driver, from various links I have found, it still won't run the games, and windows update, updates the drivers again. I can post a list of the full PC specs, but I have tried most things. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
First off, I don't recommend that you update any drivers from Windows Update. Your much better off going directly to the manufacture/vendor to obtain your drivers.

1) go to http://nvidia.com/ and get the latest driver
2) uninstall nvidia software from control panel/programs.
3) go into device manager and find your video card (under display devices). Right click and uninstall. If prompted about drivers, do not keep.
4) reboot. cancel out of any option to install drivers
5) go to where the downloaded nvidia drivers are and start installing. Reboot if prompted.

now, it is very possible that your save games are corrupted. If you still have the issue, try starting a new game and see what happens.