Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

is there any way to format without windows disk

• Please log in to reply

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i have a virus on my computer that want let me reload windows is there any way i can format then load windows
thanks

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
If your PC was manufatured by say Compaq, HP or Packard Bell (not an exhaustive list) then they usually come with a recovery partition, which will offer you the option of either:

1. Re-installing operating system files only. I know that this option on my compaq allows my user files to be kept.
2. A destrcutive recovery. This completely erases all user data and restores the system to how it came from the factory

If the computer is not manufactured by a branded company, but was infact one you built or had built for you and you don't have a Windows XP CD, then you will be unable to reload it if your format the hard disk.

Another alternative would be to refer your problem to the experts in the Malware forums and they may be able to help you clean your computer.

bagofpaper

bagofpaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i have a dell laptop.i have the disk and i load it from the cd rom it loads the files like it is going to let me reload windows then it stops just as it says loading windows with a error screen . was hoping i could just do a format and reload a new windows? thanks

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

i have a virus on my computer that want let me reload windows is there any way i can format then load windows
thanks

Never format first off :) there are many ways to format but do this as a last resort :)

I reccomend for you to head to our malware removal forum which is here also before you post a log please read this post here
We are unable to assist with any form of malware removal in this forum, please post your problem in the malware forum where our experts will be more than happy to assist you.

You may want to also take a look at the list of Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware tools which are here

Regards

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi
Download a floppy boot file from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm (assuming your dell has a floppy drive), use it to boot into win98se, and from the A:\ prompt , type Format c: - then follow the onscreen instructions. that should sort it
Davy

Edited by davyburns, 03 July 2008 - 07:13 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Take wizzy2k5's advice. Visit our malware section first. Never re-install or reformat your hard drive first. Let the malware Experts help you with your problem.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 03 July 2008 - 03:27 PM.