Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dialup issue

• Please log in to reply

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok, I've got two comps in with the same problem. Error 680: There was no dial tone. I've tried telling it to not wait for a dial tone, but then it gives me error 678: The remote computer did not respond. Everything is installed correctly as far as the modems go, I've tried different modems, I've tried different PCI slots, but nothing seems to work. Yes, everything is connected properly. I've tried running a system restore on one of them, but that didn't help, I've also tried running a repair install of Windows on the other, but that didn't help.

HELP!!! :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
DUNS ERROR 678 & 679

678 - There is no answer.
679 - Cannot detect carrier.

All versions of Windows - This error can occur if:
You are dialing the wrong number
There is a problem at your ISP or in the telephone network
Your modem is unable to handshake with remote modem before allotted time

Use modem's speaker to listen to connection attempt: Make sure it dials, and make sure you hear remote modem answer tones.

Dial number with regular phone and make sure you hear remote modem answer tones.
Make sure correct phone # is dialed with DUNS - examine Modemlog. (If # dialed is not displayed, adding E1 to extra settings may help. Note also, you may have your telephony/connection settings such that long-distance digit is unintentionally being added to your phone number.)

If you hear your modem handshake, and 678 error appears at same time handshake sound ends, you may need to disable 56k or increase the 'Cancel Call if not connected' time in ControlPanel-> Modems-> Properties-> Connection

You really need to call your ISP and get them to help you with this problem. Perhaps their protocals need a specific modem to work with their servers( not likely, but i have seen this). Mos likely it is just a setting they need to tell the modem to use.

SRX660

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok... Just put a brand new modem in one of them and it's working fine :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok, got it fixed. New modem in the other one resolved the problem. :)