Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer stuck on infinite rebooting loop.

• Please log in to reply

failarhya

failarhya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

if you have a chance to use a ide/sata 2.0 cable
ask a friend one who has a computer
together you can get the info off harddrive

well good luck to you and wannabe

Thanks, I hope I can get the computer up and running, If not my asignments will have to wait till the two days I can actually get to the library between classes and work...

Advertisements

failarhya

failarhya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Sorry it took so long...I fired up my Acer.

To enter BIOS setup, press F2 when you see the Acer screen with the scroll bar.

In the BIOS screen, press the right arrow key to select the "Boot" heading.

Use the down arrow to select 1: whatever it is now. Press the F5 or F6 key to change it so 1: is your cd-rom drive.

Then use the down arrow key to select 2: whatever it is now. Press F5 or F6 to change it so 2: is your Hard Drive

Press F10 and say yes to save the settings.

See if you get the prompt then.

No prompt yet... All i get is the black screen with the blinking - still..

Edited by failarhya, 03 July 2008 - 04:25 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Were the BIOS settings correct or did you have to change them?

failarhya

failarhya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Were the BIOS settings correct or did you have to change them?

They had been correct but I saved them again to be sure..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmmmmmm

Do you know anyone with a Windows XP install disk? Most recovery disks won't work...except for Dell's. If we can get to recovery console, I think we can fix this.

failarhya

failarhya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hmmmmmmmmm

Do you know anyone with a Windows XP install disk? Most recovery disks won't work...except for Dell's. If we can get to recovery console, I think we can fix this.

My Friend might have one but she's out of town till monday :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let
s try something to verify if the disk is burned correctly. Can you try booting the machine you are on now with it? Just to see if it's the machine or the disk...

failarhya

failarhya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Let
s try something to verify if the disk is burned correctly. Can you try booting the machine you are on now with it? Just to see if it's the machine or the disk...

Sure leme try...

failarhya

failarhya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
the OS on this one is Vista, And it doesn't run does that help any?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, it will boot with Vista...I just tried it with my Acer running Vista Home Premium. If you weren't offered the prompt on either machine, I can only surmise that it isn't burned correctly. It absolutely must be burned as an ISO image. Let's try another test.

Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and save the file to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file and choose "Copy Image to CD" from the menu. Burn the CD using the default settings of ISO Recorder. Once finished, put it in the cd-rom drive of the bad computer and restart.

This disk will not prompt you to press a key, but should boot directly to the diagnostics. This will not fix the problem you have, but will tell us if you are getting good burns or not.

Advertisements

failarhya

failarhya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well apparently it doesn't work... Maybe it's the library computer

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd be willing to bet that's the case. Do you have access to another computer you can burn the disk on?

failarhya

failarhya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I'd be willing to bet that's the case. Do you have access to another computer you can burn the disk on?

i'l ask my roomie but she's a real snob when it comes it me becasuse her parents have money and well, we do not really have that much. If not I can wait for my friends to come back from vacation.

Edited by failarhya, 03 July 2008 - 05:57 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hopefully she'll let you. It will only take a few minutes to do the whole thing.