Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Opinion

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Hello,

I will be buying a 1TB external hard drive this summer and just wanted some peoples opinions on what brand/model I should get. I will be using the xHD to store videos(.avis/.mp4s) and isos. If you need any other info to help me pick a brand/model let me know, but I am looking for a good stable drive that I shouldn't worry about dying on me within a year.

thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I am looking for a good stable drive that I shouldn't worry about dying on me within a year.

This cannot be guaranteed because hard drives are simply mechanical devices and the lifetime of any mechanical device cannot be determined until it packs up. It is perfectly possible to have three hard drives on the same production line: one that is dead out of the box, one that dies six months later and one that is still running ten years later. There's too many variables involved to guarantee a definite lifetime.

However since the 1Tb drives are new technology, you quite often find that the early batches tend to not last as long as the much later batches. When SATA drives first came out you were lucky if they worked at all never mind last a few months. With time they now last as long as the PATA drives they're going to replace.