Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please can any one help me out please please

• Please log in to reply

hardnut

hardnut

• Pip
  • 9 posts
one of my kids was playing around with my desktop comp and deleted out my cd rom they also tried to reinstall windows xp and have totally crashed my comp.

i have come home to find a preparing installation with a system setup log _ (c:\windows\setuperr.log)

it says
error :
set up encountered an error while trying to set system security.

an extended error has occurred

xxx

error
set up could not register the ole control C:\WINDOWS\system32\macromed\flash\swflash.ocx because of the following error:
Dllregisterserver returned error 2147647516 (8002810c)

does this mean my comp is now useless and can now be melted down to use as a sinker? or is there a way i can fix this little prob?

oh computers a dell run's winxp :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Dell™ PC Restore is a compressed copy of all the factory-installed software on your computer when it is shipped. The image is placed on the hard drive in a separate unmounted partition. Depending on the operating system and software installed on your computer, up to 4.5 gigabytes of space can be used by the image.

By Pressing <Ctrl> + <F11> keys at the same time you should get a window asking if you want to restore. I have forgotten exactly what it says but just click yes, or continue to restore the computer. If by clicking the keys nothing happens than you do not have a restore partition on the computer. You will then need a dell restore cd or w Microsoft OEM CD to reinstall the OS on your computer.

SRX660

hardnut

hardnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
nothings working when i push <ctrl> + <f11> and my kids have wiped out cd rom so cant reinstall nothing cd rom does run when im using computer just wont pick up the cd when im trying to repair winxp looks like they wiped my cd rom and tried to repair it without it working thinking they could getit fixed before i got home.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Does the computer boot from the CD first? If not you may have to try getting into the bios by hitting the delete key while the computer is starting up, and setting the computers FIRST boot device as the cdrom drive, then try the restore CD. In the bios you will use the arrow keys to move up, down and sideways in the window and the enter key will open new windows up. the Esc key will get you out of a window. You will probably have to hit a certain key to save the bios change and exit the bios. The computer will then boot up and should start the restore CD. If there may be a problem with the restore D. The choice then is to find a Windows XP CD and reinstall Windows in the "repair install" method, to try saving your data and programs on the computer.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If the repair install does not work you will probably need to do a complete reinstall with the XP CD and then go to the dell website to find any drivers you may need.

SRX660

hardnut

hardnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
it did the first few times now it wont the kids tried to repair it and they said that

error :

xxx

error
set up could not register the ole control C:\WINDOWS\system32\macromed\flash\swflash.ocx because of the following error:

that happened, they wont tell me they wont tell me what else they did

i have win xp and installation disc always had it,i cant get it to boot from cd now all i get is strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for set up utility??

oh and other computer is not starting up im on my laptop right now desktop was the kids computer.

hardnut

hardnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
its booting from a cd now but when i get to preparing installation i cant click on it to run it i cancel it and

error :

xxx

error

that happens i try hitting the delete key and i get a key board failure then it goes right back to boot from cd??

hardnut

hardnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
right i have reinstalled winxp its all up and running again but have another problem trying to get my broadband connected to install some drivers required, i have put the cd in to install but its not working. cd rom's working have installed winxp and the resource cd as well modems working as well, i am currently running broadband from my laptop so theres nothing wrong with broadband. any one have any ideas whats up?? as im stuck now

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have used other computers to download drivers for broadband and then burned them to a CD to install on a computer.

You may also have a TCP/IP problem that this website may fix.

http://www.xp-smoker.com/freeware.html

SRX660

hardnut

hardnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
that xp smoker thing is it safe and what does it do?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It does the same thing as this one. It is a last resort fix for computer that lost their TCP/IP programming from spyware.

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

SRX660

hardnut

hardnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
im having problems with ethernet controller , multimedia audio controller and the other is video controller you said before i could find drivers for my computer and download after i had reinstalled winxp can you tell me how i can do without running the net on my desktop?

hardnut

hardnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have downloaded all te right drivers for most of tthen but dont know what a ethernet controller is can you help me out on this last install??

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please give me the model of your dell computer so i can find the ethernet drivers on their website. There should be a small tag at the rear of the computer that says the model of the comp.

SRX660

hardnut

hardnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
found it with the info you just said and now logged into the computer its running a bit sluggish tho have i forgot to do something??....i installed winxp service pack 3 the video one audio one and the one for the ethernet, have install a antivirsus that i brought for it. shes all updated as far as i can see. but feels odd somehow??

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I prefer using Avast AV as it does not use the resources the other AV's use. You might type in msconfig in the run box and see how many programs are running in the background. A good read is the black vipers website on what services you can probably disable to make the computer faster.

http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

SRX660