Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin router.

• Please log in to reply

coco123

coco123

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello, Its been a while since I last visited your site, and I have learned how to stop the [bleep] viruses! lol but now I have a fresh new problem and here it is.

I recently reformatted my computer before I did i removed my router, as the only thing it was for was the X-box which I sold. So That got removed and i just ran internet to my computer directly from cable modem.

I then reformatted the computer with my cable modem attached, all that went perfectly well. I have been using the comptuer and the internet has been running fine for about two months now, but I recently bought a ps3 and went to reconnect my router to get back online, And now it simply doesnt work. in my network options it picks it up as in the status it mentions belkin so it knows it is their. Also I have had a friend try it as he has the same router as me and it works fine on his computer too so I am 100% sure it has not been bricked. It will not let me access 192.168.2.1 so I cannot route around with any changes their, and am simply out of ideas. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Key points:

Router type: Belkin Wireless g router
Router model: f5d7230-4

And a dxdiag and a screenshot of my internet protocol settings are attached.

Thanks again in advance.

A.Newton.

Attached Thumbnails

• settings.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by coco123, 04 July 2008 - 10:31 AM.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
First, welcome back :)

More than likely, your problem is that the ISP you use has recorded the MAC address of your computer and locked it in. What you'll need to do is either clone your MAC address on the router or just simply leave the router plugged in until the lock has cleared. On most SOHO routers, there is an option to clone your MAC address. This will basically make the ISP think your router is your computer. I'm not familiar with the Belkin routers so you may have to look through the administration panel to find it.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 04 July 2008 - 10:47 AM.

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks alot for the information, Is their any chance you could go into further detail of cloning my mac address onto my router? or the average time it takes and isp to reset the lock?

It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

Edit: Just asked a friend he told me that it is in the settings that i cant access, As i cannot access my routers setup page.

Edited by coco123, 04 July 2008 - 10:51 AM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
What you would have to do is hook up your router to the modem, then plug your computer into the router. Access your routers setup page and then configure the setting. Is there another reason you can't access the setup page?

Also, the time that those locks take to clear vary from ISP to ISP. Some take 24 hours some could take a week or more.

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I cannot access the setup page, The reason however is unknown to me. As I mentioned a mate can use my router perfectly fine on his home computer, However when i try to access the 192.168.2.1 all I get is this page cannot be displayed.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
While hooked to your router, can you go to Start->Run, type "cmd" into the run box, then when the new black window appears, type "ipconfig /all". Then please post that information back here.

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok this is what ipconfig displays.

Windows IP Configuration

Host name ..................... Coco-26b19b952e
primary dns suffix...........
Node type...................... Unknown
Ip routing enabled.......... no
wins proxy enabled.........no
dns suffix search list........belkin

ethernet adapter local area connection 2

connection specific dns suffix........Belkin
description..................................nvidia nforce networking controller
Physical address..........................00-13-d*-d*-f*-2a (The stars are 1-10 digits blanked out for my safety)
dhcp enabled...............................yes
autoconfiguration enabled.............yes
ip adress.....................................192.168.2.2
subnet mask................................255.255.255.0
default gateway............................192.168.2.1
dhcp server..................................192.168.2.1
dns servers..................................192.168.2.1
lease obtained..............................4 july 2008 18:06:43
lease expires................................13 january 2038 04:14:07

Edited by coco123, 04 July 2008 - 11:21 AM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Well, it looks like that part is working. The only reason that I can think that you wouldn't be able to access the setup page now is if your browser is setup to use a proxy. What browser do you use?

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It cant access the internet at all with the router it not only the setup page, But I use either Firefox or IE 7.

I have just sent a pic of my ipconfig to a mate and he noticed i had no dns servers....

Edited by coco123, 04 July 2008 - 11:28 AM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
when you're behind the router, your dns servers is the router as you can see here from your ipconfig.

dns servers..................................192.168.2.1

I'll have to think for a moment about your issue for a moment and get back to you.

Advertisements

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
A mate who is one the same isp and has the same router model as me though has 3 dns servers

But thanks for hte help so far. appreciated.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
what do you type in the address bar when you try to access the setup page?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Per Belkin support, the address to type in is "http://192.168.2.1"

I would also try a reset on the router. There is a reset button/hole, on the front or back. This will reset to factory settings.

Once you get in (thats the main problem as I see it now), try setting the wireless channel to static and not to auto. Interferance will cause wireless routers to drop the signal.

Look at BELKIN TROUBLESHOOTING

coco123

coco123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
@gravity grip when i try to access the setup page i type http://192.168.2.1 and it fails and says the page cannot be connected too.

@123runner I have tried a reset but that failed unfortunately.

However I now Know that the router is in perfect conditiion as i tryed connecting my ps3 to it via wireless its coeennected to the internet fine and let me access 192.168.2.1 however due to the lack of jave script the playstation 3 can play I could not manage to many options :)

Edited by coco123, 05 July 2008 - 11:57 AM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Do you have another computer that you could try this on? This will tell us if it's the router or your computer.